Small problems with De Bello Gallico

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Dingbats
Textkit Member

Small problems with De Bello Gallico

Post by Dingbats »

I've just started reading De Bello Gallico and I find it to be of intermediate difficulty. One sentence confuses me though:

Qua de causa Helvetii quoque reliquos Gallos virtute praecedunt, quod fere cotidianis proeliis cum Germanis contendunt, cum aut suis finibus eos prohibent aut ipsi in eorum finibus bellum gerunt.

What confuses me the most is the middle part. I've translated the first part to something like "Where the Helvetians also are better than the Gauls by the means of virtue", not really sure about the de causa, though I doubt that is an important part.
I find the second part hard to make make sense. "Which often daily try to fight against the Germans" or something is what I understand it as. The quod confuses me. Maybe it means "because"?
The third part would be "Either keep them away with their borders or themselves fight in their borders" or something similar I think.

Deses
Textkit Fan

Re: Small problems with De Bello Gallico

Post by Deses »

Dingbats wrote:I've just started reading De Bello Gallico and I find it to be of intermediate difficulty. One sentence confuses me though:

Qua de causa Helvetii quoque reliquos Gallos virtute praecedunt, quod fere cotidianis proeliis cum Germanis contendunt, cum aut suis finibus eos prohibent aut ipsi in eorum finibus bellum gerunt.

What confuses me the most is the middle part. I've translated the first part to something like "Where the Helvetians also are better than the Gauls by the means of virtue", not really sure about the de causa, though I doubt that is an important part.
I find the second part hard to make make sense. "Which often daily try to fight against the Germans" or something is what I understand it as. The quod confuses me. Maybe it means "because"?
The third part would be "Either keep them away with their borders or themselves fight in their borders" or something similar I think.

"Qua de causa" most likely means "for which reason". Remember the previous sentence? Similarly, "quod" further explains this reason: because they fight with the Germans almost every day.

"Virtus" here probably means "courage" and the Ablative is not that of means, but more likely of respect. The Helvetians surpassed all other Gauls in their courage.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

Qua de causa would generally be put as de qua causa if we were reading a textbook and not real latin. From which cause/on account of which cause. The qua is an example of a relative adjective.

"Where the Helvetians also are better than the Gauls by the means of virtue" Really more like - the Helvetians also are better than the Gauls with respect to/in regard to virtue. Or courage. Certainly some manly quality. Virtus comes from vir, and indicates the kind of good qualities expected of a Roman male. Although our word virtue derives from the same source it doesn't have quite the ring of toughness and violence even.
Quod is because. They fight near daily battles with the Germans. cotidianis is an adjective modifying proeliis. fere modifies cotidianis.

Block them from their borders seems more likely. Ablative of separation.

Or themselves fight in the Germans borders.

Dingbats
Textkit Member

Post by Dingbats »

Thanks for your help! I think I'm a little too fast when reading, I'm not thinking of every possibility before I translate, heh.