Textkit Logo

their sons and daughters

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

their sons and daughters

Postby mariek » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:36 pm

<br />I have a question about translating "their sons and daughters" in this passage (BLD Ex107 PtII Pg46) :<br /><br /> The Germans, with (their) sons and daughters, are hastening with horses and wagons.<br /> Germani cum suis filiis et suis filiis equis et carris properant.<br /><br />Well, that's how I translated it into Latin. It seems redundant to have "suis filiis" twice. It just happened that way because: their sons => suis filiis (ABL Plur of suus filius); their daughters => suis filiis (ABL Plur of sua filia).<br /><br />Is it possible to rephrase the Latin sentence, making it shorter:<br /><br /> Germani cum suis filiis equis carris properant.<br /><br />Or does this lose some meaning?<br /><br />
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re:their sons and daughters

Postby ingrid70 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:49 pm

I would use:<br /><br />Germani cum filiis filiabusque equis et curris properant.<br /><br />filiabus is an alternative form for the dat & abl plu of the first declension, mainly used with filia and dea (yes, to avoid the confusion of 'filiis et filiis'). <br />With the alternative forms for the dat & abl plu of deus (diis and dis) you often see (according to my grammar that is): dis deabusque.<br /><br />you can leave suis out of the sentence, as it is quite clear that the Germans hurry around with their own children, not someone else's. You only use a possessive pronoun if it is necessary to clear up whose whatevers you're talking about.<br /><br />Ingrid<br />
phpbb
ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:their sons and daughters

Postby mariek » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:32 pm

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=316;start=0#2139 date=1059425392]<br />Germani cum filiis filiabusque equis et curris properant.<br /><br />filiabus is an alternative form for the dat & abl plu of the first declension, mainly used with filia and dea (yes, to avoid the confusion of 'filiis et filiis').[/quote]<br /><br />Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall reading something about dea and filia. I can't believe I forgot about that! <br /><br />
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Latin