A Question about my Dog

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
masuro
Textkit Neophyte

A Question about my Dog

Post by masuro »

No, I'm not kidding. ^^

Before I knew anything at all about Latin, I looked up 'friend' in Wheelock's and figured that the name 'friend' in Latin would be Amice (i.e., the vocative). I'm now getting through chapter 3 of Wheelock's and the Awful Truth has reared its head and says, "Girl dog - Amica, Boy dog - Amicus" My dog is female so her name should be Amica, is this correct?
When I call my dog should I use the vocative? "Hey, Amica!" (well, that's the same for feminine) If I happened to have a male dog named Amicus would I have to call, "Hey, Amice"?

One more question. Is this sentence correct? "Amicam in agro video." I see Amica (the dog) in the field.

My brain hurts!!! :)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: A Question about my Dog

Post by benissimus »

masuro wrote:Before I knew anything at all about Latin, I looked up 'friend' in Wheelock's and figured that the name 'friend' in Latin would be Amice (i.e., the vocative).
If you are addressing your dog then yes it should be Amice, but the actual name should be nominative (from the word nomen, nominis "name").
I'm now getting through chapter 3 of Wheelock's and the Awful Truth has reared its head and says, "Girl dog - Amica, Boy dog - Amicus" My dog is female so her name should be Amica, is this correct?
Yes, Amica would be the feminine form.
When I call my dog should I use the vocative? "Hey, Amica!" (well, that's the same for feminine) If I happened to have a male dog named Amicus would I have to call, "Hey, Amice"?
Yes, vocative is used for addressing or calling someone (vocative is from vocare "to call")
One more question. Is this sentence correct? "Amicam in agro video." I see Amica (the dog) in the field.
Correct.
My brain hurts!!! :)
Didn't you read the warning label on the cover for Wheelock's Latin? :P
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Noah
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Noah »

regardless, i am sure if you make a declension error that your dog will not correct you :D

masuro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by masuro »

Ha ha ^^

Thanks very much for your quick reply and help. I've just picked up and read the first story about Pandora in 38 Latin Stories and I can see how names are used in different cases there. It's very satisfying to be able to read an actual story and not just exercise sentences.

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

regardless, i am sure if you make a declension error that your dog will not correct you
Particularly not if she speaks Dog Latin*! :lol:

* From http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dog%20latin :

Dog Latin, barbarous Latin; a jargon in imitation of Latin; as, the log (sic) Latin of schoolboys.