Ruling "from ... to ..."

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Ruling "from ... to ..."

Post by amans »

Hi,

I would like to say

Croesus, ruling from 560 BC to 546 BC, was ...

in Latin.

How would you construct this phrase? It is especially the "from ... to" bit which I am not sure how to translate (I am not even sure my English is correct: would you say "from ... through" instead?).

Also, would you use "annus" in this case and how?

Thanks. :D

P.S. The Romans would not, of course, know about "BC". If I am not mistaken these years would be 194 and 208 a.u.c., respectively.

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

P.S. The Romans would not, of course, know about "BC". If I am not mistaken these years would be 194 and 208 a.u.c., respectively.
I thought that AUC reckoning started to be used during the Augustan age - if you want to give your latin a late republican feel, I'm afraid you'll have to look up the names of consuls.

No idea about your other problem I'm afraid - I'll look it up later.

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

Thanks Turpissime,

If you find something, please let me know. Until then, I'll go for "Croesus, regnans de anno CLXXXXIV ad annum CCVIII a.u.c., erat..."

:D

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

regnans de anno CLXXXXIV ad annum CCVIII a.u.c., erat
I'd be minded to use ab rather than de.

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

P.S. The Romans would not, of course, know about "BC".
Indeed! Be very, very careful about buying Roman coins which have a BC-style date as their year of minting!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Croesus, ruling from 560 BC to 546 BC, was ...
Croesus, regnans de anno CLXXXXIV ad annum CCVIII a.u.c., erat...
from ... to = a(b) ... ad / usque ad (emphazised)

ruling from: you can express this by regnans or also by a cum - clause or an other clause, but also by the substantive rex.

BC: this can be used in modern Latin as ante Christum natum

erat: yes, when the rest of the phrase shows that there is some duration; if not, you could better use fuit ...

Croesus, ab anno quingentesimo sexagesimo (or DLX or you can also use the AUC, but nowadays it's not very commun any more in neolatin litterature ...) usque ad annum quingentesimum quadragesimum sextum (or DXLVI) ante Christum natum regnans, fuit ...

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

Thanks for your ideas.

And Moere, very interesting to see the possible variations expressing the intended meaning: the participle, the cum-clause (I'd need a cum historicum here, perhaps) and the apposition. It may take some time getting used to seeing the other possible solutions. It's easier just to copy the grammatical structure from one's own language (ruling > regnans).

True, there are many possibilities also when it comes to expressing dates and time.