Need some help - et pur si mouve

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Linda
Textkit Neophyte

Need some help - et pur si mouve

Post by Linda »

Hi
I'm a philosophy student currently writing an essay on Zeno's paradoxes, and thought it would be nice to bring in a disquotation by galileo...

Instead of "and yet it moves" I would like to write "and yet we move" ...if only I knew latin...

I'd apreciate some help... thanks.

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

"etiam movemus"
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

moveo in that reflexive sense is very rare. Usually with this verb, you have to be moving something, it is mostly transitive unlike the English counterpart. It could easily be rectified by changing it to passive (e.g. etiam movemur). You really had no way of knowing that, I just had a suspicion so I decided to look it up.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

benissimus wrote:moveo in that reflexive sense is very rare. Usually with this verb, you have to be moving something, it is mostly transitive unlike the English counterpart. It could easily be rectified by changing it to passive (e.g. etiam movemur). You really had no way of knowing that, I just had a suspicion so I decided to look it up.
I always appreciate the info, bene!

Just for my further education, if you wanted to avoid a passive - what word would you choose?
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Kasper wrote:Just for my further education, if you wanted to avoid a passive - what word would you choose?
probably gradior or one of its compounds. You have a lot of choices: there is little distinction between "move" and "go", so you could use eo, procedo, etc. vertor and the passive of muto would also be interesting choices. This is one of those cases where translation has the potential to alter and adapt the meaning of a phrase, sometimes making it more beautiful, sometimes just blurring the original sentiment (or both).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae