Need help (big time) to get something translated to Latin...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
StarFyre
Textkit Neophyte

Need help (big time) to get something translated to Latin...

Post by StarFyre »

Hello everyone *smiles and waves at the new people*

First some background....I paint miniatures/models. I am working on a Paladin (ie. a holy warrior) type miniature. To try something unique, I am sculpting a scroll (of sorts) to be fastened onto the miniature's shield. Since the Paladin is supposed to be the holiest of warriors, I wanted to do something different with it.

I want to put writing, but not just fake writing on it, but real Latin writing on the scroll.

I have a passage I typed, but I am not sure how to get it translated. I found services that I can pay to have it done, but I would prefer to pay only as a final last resort.

Was wondering if anyone here, could translate the passage for me. It's as follows:

Thousands of years, yet war goes on.
With banner and relics, heaven's servants
go forth, to spread the word of all which
is holy, and cleanse that which attempts
to corrupt us.

Never forget the loved ones and friends
we have lost. Their sacrifices are Immortal,
so we shall immortalize those who sacrificed
all for us.

We shall move towards darkness; to
The very depths of hell. We will not
Allow defeat, and we will not succumb
To pain. We travel on the path of
Enlightenment, for the sake of all;

And we shall know no fear…

I know this is somewhat of a strange request. Please let me know if you can help me or make suggestions if you have any. I was thinking of going to a nearby university, and trying to find a langauge department, and see if a Professor could translate for me...

Let me know. Thanks in advance...

Sanjay
sshanbhag@sympatico.ca

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Need help (big time) to get something translated to Lati

Post by Episcopus »

StarFyre wrote: I found services that I can pay to have it done, but I would prefer to pay only as a final last resort.
Considering the amount of words that you wish to be translated, that's quite cheeky. Latin is a gift from God.

I will do it for the square root of their price.

StarFyre
Textkit Neophyte

hmmm...

Post by StarFyre »

uhm..ok

to me it's a langauge...and there are much older ones than that, so you don't have to be rude about it.

If you don't want to help..just don't bother reply, and waste the triggered email that got sent to my box...hehe

Sanjay

adz000
Textkit Member

Post by adz000 »

Quod mille fere annos gerebatur, nunc continuoque perseverat bellum: nam vexillis et reliquis sacris procedentibus nunc procedunt caelitum milites, ad verbum de omnibus sacris proferendum, ut quae nos frustra corrumpebant illi quoque mundent et expurgant.

Numquam obliviscemur amicos, amatos, desideratos: quorum damna, quae pro causa nostra perpetiebantur, sicut immortalia sunt; ita, qui pro nobis vitam toto pectore devovebant, eorum quoque facta moresque immortalitati tradeamus.

Here's my attempt at the first two paragraphs. Cheers! I hope someone picks up where I left off and corrects my mistakes. I ask from StarFyre in return that you strive for historical accuracy in the script you use for inscribing my Latin (paleography, epigraphy) and post a picture here when you're done.

Now just to head off some criticism of my Latin; the imperfect of corrumpo I intended as an imperfect of endeavor (Gildersleeve 233: "the imperfect is used of attempted and interrupted, intended and expected actions"). Other people will judge whether this works or not. The repetition of verbs, pleonasm and the strong parallelism I thought was appropriate for the ceremonial occassion. Some people may argue caelitum is inappropriate if the context is Christian; it's fair criticism. But I'd point out that Christian panegyrical orators were happy to take over pagan language once it posed no real threat, plus I like the strongly poetic coloring and assonance.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re: hmmm...

Post by Jeff Tirey »

StarFyre wrote:uhm..ok

to me it's a langauge...and there are much older ones than that, so you don't have to be rude about it.

If you don't want to help..just don't bother reply, and waste the triggered email that got sent to my box...hehe

Sanjay
He is asking a lot, but you know what Epi, I tend to agree with him. If you're not interested - don't reply.
jeff
Textkit Founder

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

We shall move towards darkness; to
The very depths of hell. We will not
Allow defeat, and we will not succumb
To pain. We travel on the path of
Enlightenment, for the sake of all;

And we shall know no fear…
Progrediemur ad tenebras, in infimos infernos.
Cladem non patiemur,
Dolorique non parebimus.
Propter omnes, vadimus via humanitatis.

Numquam timemus...

I'm sure someone can correct that, or refine it further.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I tend to disagree jeff because people tend to come to textkit only to receive free translations which would be expensive otherwise. Your site is amazing jeff, but so many people aren't using it properly in my opinion; if they wish so much to have a translation they would shut up sit down and learn latin as this would be far more productive.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Episcopus wrote:I tend to disagree jeff because people tend to come to textkit only to receive free translations which would be expensive otherwise. Your site is amazing jeff, but so many people aren't using it properly in my opinion; if they wish so much to have a translation they would shut up sit down and learn latin as this would be far more productive.
Not everyone has the time or inclination to learn latin. I don't believe there's any harm in *asking* whether someone could volunteer a translation. If no one is willing, that's fine, but we don't need to discourage the asking. Perhaps some would be willing to take on the task for the sake of enjoyment or practice. :)

I have more of a problem with people who are trying to cheat on their homework. ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Episcopus wrote:I tend to disagree jeff because people tend to come to textkit only to receive free translations which would be expensive otherwise. Your site is amazing jeff, but so many people aren't using it properly in my opinion; if they wish so much to have a translation they would shut up sit down and learn latin as this would be far more productive.
That is very true for Latin students, but I think this person made it clear they are not a Latin student but instead an artist who needed some help with Latin.
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

The poster did not violate any of the board rules.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

StarFyre
Textkit Neophyte

QUestion

Post by StarFyre »

Sorry, but I do not know what you mean by:

paleography, epigraphy

I am searching online now to try and figure this out. LOoks like a writing style? Not sure how to read that though. Is it a character per letter or sound?

Regards,

Sanjay

adz000
Textkit Member

Post by adz000 »

Paleography is the study of old handwriting. Different styles of handwriting belong to different periods and different geographical regions. It's really fascinating and often quite beautiful to look into. If you're striving for enough historical realism to put something in Latin, you ought to pay attention also to the kind of writing one would employ at that time (or if this isn't a historical knight, at least something parallel to our historical development). There are a ton of sites online and books should be available at the library.

Epigraphy is sort of the same thing, but instead of handwriting, it deals with carving on stone.

StarFyre
Textkit Neophyte

hmmmm

Post by StarFyre »

This is for the shield/banner/armour (depending where I can fit most or all of the quotes) which is looking more like some on the shield and rest on a banner), for a Dungeons & Dragons Paladin type character.

So a fantasy holy warrior type of character...

What type of style would I used? Do you have a link that I can use?

Regards,

Sanjay

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

This site has some rather nice medieval maunscripts that you can examine. It'll give you a feel for the kind of writing they used. Of course, there is no copybook of medieval handwriting that you can study, but I think these rather nice images will enable you to produce some accurate work. Not for dial up though.

You seem like the conscientious sort. I'm sure you'll be able to produce something that will impress the pants off your gaming colleagues.