Latin love translations

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Latin love translations

Post by Arcanium »

My girlfriend is taking 1st year latin at mcmaster university...and i'm making her a black rose with an inscription...i have four sayings i need translated. the first i have. amor vincit omnia...but i need a) my love for you is everlasting b) you are perfection and beauty incarnate c) may our love for each other last until death.
i know some words..but i don't kow anything about genetive forms or any other grammar rules. so if anybody could translate these i'd be grateful..

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

a.) meus amor est ______. im not sure the word for everlasting. but it would be in the nominitive singular masculine since amor is.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

Amor tibi sempiternus est.

How is this?

Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arcanium »

to which does that apply....A?

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

yea. sempiternus im guessing is everlasting. i would put it...

meus amor est sempiternus tibi

Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arcanium »

ok, thank you....what about the other two?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Latin love translations

Post by benissimus »

Arcanium wrote:My girlfriend is taking 1st year latin at mcmaster university...and i'm making her a black rose with an inscription...i have four sayings i need translated. the first i have. amor vincit omnia...but i need a) my love for you is everlasting b) you are perfection and beauty incarnate c) may our love for each other last until death.
i know some words..but i don't kow anything about genetive forms or any other grammar rules. so if anybody could translate these i'd be grateful..
The phrase amor vincit omnia is certainly correct, but the original phrase goes omnia vincit amor (if you want to copy the original).

Here are some translations of the others:

a) my love for you is everlasting
(meus) amor tui (est) sempiternus
(the objective genitive is probably a better choice than a dative)

b) you are perfection and beauty incarnate
pulchritudinis es summa perfectionisque

c) may our love for each other last until death
usque ad mortem perferat noster amor
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arcanium »

wow...my girlfriend even said her textbook said that those were perfect. thanks dude! is latin your major or something?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Arcanium wrote:wow...my girlfriend even said her textbook said that those were perfect. thanks dude! is latin your major or something?
Wow! Your girlfriend's textbook sounds really good! :lol: No, Latin is not my major :oops: , just the nicer of my two main interests. I wouldn't mind majoring in Latin, but it's not offered in many places here and also not easily applicable to most careers...

Nice thing to do for a girlfriend by the way. (jaffa cakes excluded, episcope)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae