Typing those Latin long vowels

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

Typing those Latin long vowels

Post by mariek »

Am I beating a dead horse?<br /><br />I'm still trying to figure out how to type those Latin vowels with the horizontal line over them. I don't see corresponding ALT+xxxx codes for these vowels in Windows Character Map.<br /><br />I found ALT codes on this website, but can't seem to get them to work. Any ideas?<br /><br />http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/inte ... in.html<br /><br /><br />Capital A ALT+0256<br />Captial E ALT+0274<br />Capital I ALT+0298<br />Capital O ALT+0332<br />Capital U ALT+0362<br /><br />Lowercase a ALT+0257<br />Lowercase e ALT+0275<br />Lowercase i ALT+0299<br />Lowercase o ALT+0333<br />Lowercase u ALT+0363<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:Typing those Latin long vowels

Post by Episcopus »

Well I have a class Latin macron font but this forum won't have it...although it have ancient Greek font. Given this a macron seems not at all much to ask.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Doesn't work for me either. We don't really need it, though, the Romans didn't use it. The only frustration I have is when I want to tell someone how to pronounce a word and have to tell them which letters are long. Other than that, you can usually live without it, with only the ablative giving you trouble. Ablative isn't really all that bad anyways since it is usually used with a preposition.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I'm not quite ready to remove those "training wheels" yet... :-\

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yeah well, the Romans watched christians being torn up by lions laughing and had rooms whose only use was puking...<br /><br />Personally, macrons are lovely. I feel joy adding a straight line, especially in ablative of means and cause! Particularly cause...I always hated writing 'because of'!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

That's like writing your words the way a pronunciation key would. Do you write upside down e's when you want to make the "eh" sound in English? :o If you don't care how they did it classically, you might want to use "j" for consonantal i as well. I'm sort of being a hypocrite though since I use u :(<br /><br />It's actually not so important, because most of Latin becomes reading when you are more advanced, so it won't be up to you . :P
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Tell me more about this 'J' vs 'i' thing ... and the 'u' you refer to.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Basically, the Romans did not have the letters j and u. They used letter I for both the vowel sound /i/ and the consonant sound /y/. They used the letter V for both the vowel sound /u/ and the consonant sound /v/.<br /><br />Thus, in the genitive the name of the god we refer to as Janus would have been written IANVI.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

What do you think of 'fluvius' the Roman way: FLVVIVS. For clarity's sake, I'm glad most editions use u for the vowel, and v for the consonant. Although I wouldn't use j for consonant i. <br /><br /><br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Juventus player = Marco Iuliano = ;D

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=290;start=0#1896 date=1059032087]<br />What do you think of 'fluvius' the Roman way: FLVVIVS. For clarity's sake, I'm glad most editions use u for the vowel, and v for the consonant. Although I wouldn't use j for consonant i. <br /><br /><br />Ingrid<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Last Latin course I did involved reading Book 1 of the Aeneid.... The text used no macrons, no 'j' and no 'v'. After a bit, you got used to seeing 'u' where you would expect a 'v', and by the end of the book, I only rarely got caught out by interpretting a 'u' where I should have used a 'v' when checking a dictionary. I suppose it all boils down to what you get used to. I don't use the macrons at all, and the books I've been using for the last while don't have them either. I've gotten well away from using 'j' in Latin, but I'm now back to using a 'v', because the book I'm reading at present uses it....<br /><br />Kilmeny

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

I think the v's and j's can make reading a lot easier: I'm with Mr Chips on weny weady weaky and it's certainly easier to spot the meanings of conveniunt or conjunctus in text as an English speaker. But I do remember someone once telling me that "I Clavdivs" was on TV. <br /><br />All this just gets a bit odd when taken to extremes - the degree speech at Oxford seems to refer to Hujus Universitatis, must be somewhere in Romania...

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Milito <br /><br /> I suppose it all boils down to what you get used to. I don't use the macrons at all, and the books I've been using for the last while don't have them either. I've gotten well away from using 'j' in Latin, but I'm now back to using a 'v', because the book I'm reading at present uses it....<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote wrote:<br /><br />I guess so. I learned Latin with a book that used v and u, but no j's, and hardly any macrons (only on the penultimate if it was long by nature only). I do write macrons now when doing the exercises, as an extra drill on the vowel length, as I'm trying to focus on pronunciation now (I've found out that I put the accent at the wrong place in quite a lot of words :(. But they are the IPA* of Latin, as it were.<br /><br />Ingrid<br /><br />* International phonetic alphabet, indispensible for English as a Foreign Language learners :).

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

bingley wrote:<br />Basically, the Romans did not have the letters j and u. They used letter I for both the vowel sound /i/ and the consonant sound /y/. They used the letter V for both the vowel sound /u/ and the consonant sound /v/.
<br /><br />I guess that explains why I sometimes see a 'v' where there should be a 'u' on public buildings.<br />
<br />Thus, in the genitive the name of the god we refer to as Janus would have been written IANVI.
<br /><br />I'm not sure I follow this. The genitive of "Janus" would be "Janï", right?<br />So you replace the first letter 'J' with an 'I': Ianï<br />How did you come up with the 'V' between 'n' and 'i'?<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

By being an idiot or just testing to see if you were paying attention. Take your pick. :-[

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Here's a good example of confusion: adiuvare (adjuvare) or adivvare?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=290;start=0#1935 date=1059093117]<br />By being an idiot or just testing to see if you were paying attention. Take your pick. :-[ [/quote]<br /><br />So I must pass the test! :) I thought there was something I might have missed...<br /><br />