english to latin translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
magratmedway
Textkit Neophyte

english to latin translation

Post by magratmedway »

Hi!

Would someone be able to tell me what the following phrase would be once translated into Latin:

" Do not let her drown."

It is part of a university saying and we wanted to try and translate it for part of an ongoing friend's birthday present project!

I would be really grateful for any help as its years since i studied Latin at school,

Thanks, Alex

elduce
Textkit Member

Drowning

Post by elduce »

How about:

Eam non amitte obruere.
ego amo megaforce

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Drowning

Post by benissimus »

I'll say... ea ne bibat aquas

lit. "let her not drink the waters (i.e. 'drown')"
elduce wrote:How about:

Eam non amitte obruere.
I could see this working, but wouldn't it make more sense to use a passive infinitive (obrui)? This 'infinitive of purpose' is very rare in classical Latin however. Negative imperatives generally use noli + infinitive. If I interpret this correctly, you are saying "do not lose her to be ruined".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

magratmedway
Textkit Neophyte

Post by magratmedway »

I was also given the suggestion:

"Ne demersa sit" for "do not let her drown"....

Would this also work?
alex

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

That is a good translation. I would put in the present tense though... ea ne demergatur. The person who gave you that phrase put it into the perfect (past) tense, which is usually used for a different sort of command, though still correct.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

you really don't need the pronoun at all, classical authors would tortue you if you did. (not just your normal rolling in the grave!)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Unless you use the perfect participle it is impossible to show that the subject is feminine otherwise, though on second thought I would rather use illa than ea.