Textkit Logo

Is Livy difficult?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

Is Livy difficult?

Postby Zanisimo » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:27 am

Hi everyone,
i have been learning latin for almost a year now and have just begun to translate Livy Book 1. i am not trying to translate the preface, just the first chapter in preparartion for my first class. even with the Gould/Whiteley ed. (that has lots of notes) I am finding it VERY difficult :oops: should i be? or am i just very rusty after the summer?
Zanisimo
Textkit Neophyte

Postby amans » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:31 pm

Hi Zanisimo

When I got back after a two month break to my Latin studies I found it took some time getting going again. So that may explain part of your problem...

Furthermore, Livy is not, IMHO, the easiest of Latin authors, not after only one year. I read him at that level, too.

I think a major difficulty may lie in the compactness of his sentences. He can say so much and observe so many things with just a few adverbs and the like. "Participium coniunctum" is a construction that seems to strike his fancy in particular (sorry, I don't know the term in English). Look out for those, but try to get the meaning of the main clause first and then work your way outwards from there.

If you're still stuck, you can always consult the board of experts here on TextKit, I'm sure :lol:
amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby yadfothgildloc » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:05 am

I'm dloing Livy now in my eight year of Latin (though we're doing book 21) and I find him a little difficult at times. I'm somewhat suprised your teacher has you reading him this early.
yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Postby Zanisimo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:20 am

yea, me too!!
i'm losing confidence fast.
but very happy that i have textkit to help me a bit :)
Zanisimo
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin