cum vs ablative absolute

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Kasper
Textkit Zealot

cum vs ablative absolute

Post by Kasper »

I'm somewhat confused on which to use when. I thought an ablative absolute was used when the action was not related to rest of the sentence but precedes it; and that cum with subjunctive was used either when there is a sentence that sort of takes the place of an ablative absolute but is too long for an abl. abs. or when this action, unconnected to the rest of the sentence occurred at the same time as the rest of the sentence. I hope that made sense.

In N&H is the sentence:

As the people of Veii often made incursions for the sake of plunder, the Romans were scarcely able to defend their own territories.

I thought this required a cum plus subjuncive structure:

cum veientes saepe causa praedae incursiones facerent Romani vix fines suorum defendere poterant

But N&H provides:

Veientibus incursiones praedae causa factibus Romani vix fines suorum defendere poterant.

Is my sentence wrong, or are they both right?
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Quid? Ubi est responsum tuum, moderator? :?:
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

moderator somno eget, moderator cras approbabit nisi quis iam approbaverit. :wink:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Somniens moderator, putavi somnum non esse moderatoris. :(

Dingbats
Textkit Member

Post by Dingbats »

Omnes debent dormire, etiam moderatores.

Heh, if we continue like this, this thread will be moved to The Agora...

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: cum vs ablative absolute

Post by benissimus »

Kasper wrote:But N&H provides:

Veientibus incursiones praedae causa factibus Romani vix fines suorum defendere poterant.

What in gods' name is factibus? :shock:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Maybe facientibus ? But, o Kasper, your sentence sounds better in Latin than N&H's. (except praedae causa)

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Kasper wrote:
But N&H provides:

What in gods' name is factibus?
Hmm... I must admit I missed that one actually.

Skylax, should I have used causa with a genitive gerund? I've notice Caesar ipse is quite fond of those.

As for the general principle, is there a certain rule (be it perhaps informal) which sets when to used abl. abs. or a cum clause or is it upto the writer?

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Kasper wrote: Skylax, should I have used causa with a genitive gerund? I've notice Caesar ipse is quite fond of those.
praedandi causa (from PRAEDARI) would indeed be good Caesarian Latin
As for the general principle, is there a certain rule (be it perhaps informal) which sets when to used abl. abs. or a cum clause or is it upto the writer?
I feel Abl. abs. is used when this phrase is not to big, with not too much complements, otherwise CUM clause, which can be massive, with other subordinate clauses depending on it.

VALE