Future and passive in indirect questions

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Butyrum
Textkit Neophyte

Future and passive in indirect questions

Post by Butyrum »

Is it possible to express the future passive in an indirect question? I know that in the active, you use a periphrastic expression with sim, sīs, etc. and the future active participle (e.g., Scit ubi vir id āctūrus sit "He knows where the man will do it"). But what about "where it will be done"? Am I right in thinking that my options are basically (1) use the present subjunctive agātur, as the sequence of tenses would have me do, and just live with the ambiguity that results, or (2) cheat and use the indicative instead?

Neither Moreland & Fleischer nor Allen & Geenough seem to say much about passives in indirect questions.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Future and passive in indirect questions

Post by adrianus »

scit ubi id [a viro] agatur/faciatur = where it is done/should be done/will be done (but ambiguous, as you say //ambiguum quidem, ut dicis)
vel
scit ubi id [a viro] futuro agatur/faciatur
= where it will be done / about to be done / going to be done
vel
scit ubi id [a viro] faciendum sit
= where it should be done (indirect question with future passive as a gerundive//quaestio obliqua passivâ voce futuro tempore per gerundivum)

vel

scit ubi id futurum sit quod vir faciat.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Butyrum
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Future and passive in indirect questions

Post by Butyrum »

I figured there was some sort of periphrasis; the construction with futūrum sit quod is a bullseye. You are a fantastically handy person to have around. Thanks again.