Mathematical vocabulary

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Mathematical vocabulary

Post by Episcopus »

Now that whiteoctave has gone :cry: there is no master who might tame me and inspire me to actually do any latin indeed I have not for like a month. It always happens. The only thing I do is write and then I stop for ages.

Now I need some funky mathematical vocabulary because I use them often in insults. Does any one have a suped dictionary or know any one super enough to know:

1. to square root, simple term. Obviously one could have aliquem in dynamin mutare, aliquem/quid dynamin creare/facere etc.

2. square (n), (vb)

3. to cube, cube root

4. Quadratic equation

5. sin cos tan

6. vector

7. seagull (n)

You would be very odd if you could help me :lol:

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Mathematical vocabulary

Post by benissimus »

Episcopus wrote:Now that whiteoctave has gone :cry: there is no master who might tame me and inspire me to actually do any latin indeed I have not for like a month. It always happens. The only thing I do is write and then I stop for ages.
what a pity
4. Quadratic equation

5. sin cos tan
I think you know that these are modern contraptions. sine, cosine (complementi sinus), and tangent are words taken quite directly from Latin but with altered senses.
6. vector
Surely you can figure this out.
7. seagull (n)
I don't know and I am not sure how this fits with the other inquiries.
You would be very odd if you could help me :lol:
I am not odd enough...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Go factorise your mother

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I have tried to but she cannot be factored and I am unwilling to pull out the cubic equation when it will only yield extraneous solutions illinc..
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[-Steven's Mor±²√(b²-4ac)/2a] ∞ ∆V ₧ that's what you can do to her.

Dacicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dacicus »

1. to square root, simple term.
I think radix has been used. You could maybe use it with the ordinal numbers to indicate which root you want.
2. square (n), (vb)
quadrum (n), quadrare (vb)
5. sin cos tan
Check out this page.

MyIlium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MyIlium »

I think you know that these are modern contraptions. sine, cosine (complementi sinus), and tangent are words taken quite directly from Latin but with altered senses.
Funny. I seem to remember that the Arabs stole the word, mangled the meaning, and spit it back out as "sine."

Seagull come from the word 'sea' and 'gull,' obviously, both of Germanic descent. It is generally not used in professional circles, but sometimes mathematicians may say things like, "the normal of the seagull plane divided by m and the cross product of m and n and the scalar q," which, of course, is utter gibberish.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Cool thanks guys :)

For sanity's sake you didn't want to tell me the verb for square :lol: But ye have!