need help translating a sentence

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
dear2myheart
Textkit Neophyte

need help translating a sentence

Post by dear2myheart »

Greetings friends of Latin! I am learning Latin along with my 9 year old son. This is our first year and we are using Latina Christiana I. I have attempted to make up a sentence and then to translate it into Latin, and need to know if I am correct. Can anyone help me? Are my nouns in the right case etc.? Here is the sentence:<br /><br />The small school teaches many students the Latin language.<br /><br />my translation:<br /><br />ludus parvus docet discuplo multo linguam Latinam.<br /><br /><br />How close am I? ??? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Re:need help translating a sentence

Post by vinobrien »

Close, I think. There is no one way to translate it. But doceo has to have both the thing your teaching and the victim in the accusative, as I remember. schola is probably better than ludus which has too many other meanings.<br /><br />schola parva linguam latinam discipulos multos docet<br />schola parva discipulos multos cursa latine instituit<br />schola parva discipulos multos in latina erudit<br /><br />salve

klwps
Textkit Neophyte

Re:need help translating a sentence

Post by klwps »

This may be too late due to the date on the original posting , but I too agree that doceo, docere takes a double accusative. I prefer <br />"schola parva linguam latinam discipulos multos docet ". It maintains the original posting's attempt and also maintains the syntactical form of the latin sentence as Subject --Object(s)--Verb. Please see the following link for the entry under doceo. <br /><br />http://www.perseus.org/cgi-bin/ptext?do ... 3D%2314603