Similiter?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Dingbats
Textkit Member

Similiter?

Post by Dingbats »

When I say "You are similar to him" I say Similis ei es. But when I want to say "You run like him" (similar to him) would that translate as Curris similiter ei? Or should I use the nominative instead of the dative when it's an adverb?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

similiter with dative is attested but rare. You have a whole range of options though, including pariter + dat. and various conjunctions: quomodo, velut, ut, tam... quam..., and others, often depending on what you are saying.

You can also use the same words that you know by modifying the structure of the sentence. For example, if you wish to avoid using similiter with a dative, instead of "You run like him", you could say "You and he run alike". There is a great deal of room for style in Latin :D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Dingbats
Textkit Member

Post by Dingbats »

Thanks for your reply! :D

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

yeah, although similiter with the dative isn't especially common, it is a neat usage and is attested in mainstream classical authors, Livy (e.g.37.40.10), Pliny and Vitruvius all having examples. similiter ut is a more common means of expression, and I've come across it a few times in Cicero. even similiter atque can function thus.

~D