Remembering conjugations, etc.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MIMIR
Textkit Neophyte

Remembering conjugations, etc.

Post by MIMIR »

What is a good way memorize forms of latin words, etc? That is, tables? I have been trying to use M&F Latin to get ahead in my Latin in class but I have trouble memorizing the various forms. What is a good way to make them stick?

chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chrisb »

Repetition, repetition, repetition!!!

Vary it, though, by declining/conjugating different words with the same pattern. It comes!

chrisb

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

Put them to music.

I use songs for the declensions and some of the conjugations. For example, third declension fits well with "Jingle Bells".

If you or anyone else is interested in more information, I'll be glad to post it.

Magistra

Ioanna
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ioanna »

PLease do post more, Magistra. That sounds like a great learning tool.

I found some software that drills you on your endings ... alas, you have to pay to get access to the full version, and I can't afford it. You can download the demo from centaursystems.com.

:)

Ioanna

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Look for patterns:
E.g.
neuter nouns always have the nom. and acc. plu in -a, regardless of their declension.
Dat. and abl. plu. are always the same.
gen. plu. always ends in -um (-arum, -orum, um, -ium, -uum, -rum)
Personal endings of the passive have an 'r' in them, apart from -mini.

However, even if you see some patterns, you still have to learn them :wink: .

Hope this helps,
Ingrid

RamenSama
Textkit Neophyte

Post by RamenSama »

I found that chanting the verb endings to a simple tune works well. Isaac Asimov suggests using the tune from the Irish Washerwoman to memorize complicated chemical names.
By taking a verb at random and fully conjugating it within its tense, you'll not only be more familiar with the verb itself, but with the verb endings wheresoever you man encounter them. In the past I have found this method to be very helpfull in memorizing the myriad of verb endings whether they are active or passive, subjunctive or indicitive.

Also, ingrid70 suggests looking for patterns. This is true both of nouns and verbs. For example, imperfect subjuctives are simple the infinitive with the present active endings affixed to them: dicere+t = diceret. Likewise you may see that verbs in the imperfect tense stand out because of their bumbling 'b's.
-bo -bas -bat -bamus -batis -bant.
Try repeating those in a sequence until you find a tune that fits. The same can be done for all verb endings... although finding a tune to fit the passives took me a few tries. And of course, utilizing free time while doing mindless tasks in order to run through the sequences of verb endings will help you memorize them more quickly than if you only do them when you take the time to study latin. Anyway, these are some of my sentiments and experiences regarding the matter...

Sebexta
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sebexta »

I've found the freeware program "Lingua Latina" helpful in drilling nouns, verbs and pronouns.

It can be downloaded at http://www.ucc.uconn.edu/~hasenfra

Also. The Mexican Hat Dance fits the declension of nouns!

mensa mensa mensam *clap* mensae mensae mensa *clap* *clap* ....

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

PLease do post more, Magistra. That sounds like a great learning tool.
Here goes...

Do you know the kids' song "Bingo"? ("Was a farmer, had a dog and Bingo was his name -Oh! B-I-N-G-O, etc.) The first declension works pretty well if you pronounce one ending per letter.

2nd declension works semi-OK with the alphabet song. You need to start with "-us or -r" for "a b c". Then when you finish the masculine sing "neuter -um" for "q r s".

Jingle Bells, verse and chorus, works well for 3rd Decl. Actually it works well for most, but I try to keep the songs different to associate with the different declensions. For Nom. Sing. (& Acc. Sing. Neuter), I say "blank" since there are so many variations of spelling possible.

Beethoven's (?) Ode to Joy works OK with 4th, with some drawing out of the syllables.

5th works well with Stars and Stripes Forever (Be kind to your web-footed friends, 'cause a duck could be somebody's mother..)

Let me know how it goes.

Magistra

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

bo?

Dacicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dacicus »

bo?
If you're asking about the first person imperfect indicative, it should be -bam. The -bo ending is the first person future indicative for the first and second conjugations.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

ha ha. Indeed it should be mate.

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

indeed, there's no stopping the Dac.

~D