Textkit Logo

The Latin Alphabet

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

The Latin Alphabet

Postby Augustus Secondus » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:55 pm

Could I get a list of the letters of the Latin Alphabet and each letter's pronunciation (id est: a=ah,b=beh, etc.), or a link to a page with audio files of letter pronunciation? I would greatly appreciate it because I have yet to find any page on the internet with it listed.
Last edited by Augustus Secondus on Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phpbb
Augustus Secondus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby classicalclarinet » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:04 pm

are you learning from a textbook? if so, there should be a page or two to guide your pronounciation. If not, you can look at the grammars posted here on the site.
classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Augustus Secondus » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:08 pm

classicalclarinet wrote:are you learning from a textbook? if so, there should be a page or two to guide your pronounciation. If not, you can look at the grammars posted here on the site.

I am talking about how to pronounce letters as if you are "singing" the alphabet the way the Romans would have. The textbook I am using shows only how to pronounce the letters when used in words.
phpbb
Augustus Secondus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby classicalclarinet » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:24 pm

ohh!!! I see. I think the grammar Allen & Greenough tells you that, in the first page.
classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Michaelyus » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:57 pm

phpbb
Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Postby benissimus » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:48 pm

I think this page is correct, but beware they don't mention the tricky pronunciation of qu which is the same as if it were spelt cu.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ingrid70 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:50 pm

benissimus wrote:I think this page is correct, but beware they don't mention the tricky pronunciation of qu which is the same as if it were spelt cu.

always? I know that equus can be written as ecus, but I thought that in words like aqua, the u was pronounced as a consonant.
What's your source?

Just curious...
Ingrid.
ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby benissimus » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:08 pm

ingrid70 wrote:
benissimus wrote:I think this page is correct, but beware they don't mention the tricky pronunciation of qu which is the same as if it were spelt cu.

always? I know that equus can be written as ecus, but I thought that in words like aqua, the u was pronounced as a consonant.
What's your source?

Just curious...
Ingrid.

No, not at all! Just the name of the Letter is pronounced "coo" or Latine "cu", even though it is spelt qu.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ingrid70 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:11 am

OK, I misunderstood

Ingrid
ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Latin