Textkit Logo

Please help me with a phrase

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Please help me with a phrase

Postby M.Olsson » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:55 am

Hello everybody!

I am complete newbie when it comes to latin but I am really interested in the language and would like to learn it some day.
My question is what the phrase "before it all ends" is translated into latin?
My own guess is something like "antequam finis omnino"..? (hehe, don't laugh if I am completely wrong... I said I was a newbie!)

You'd make my day if you could provide me with the correct translation.

/ Marcus
M.Olsson
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Amy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:21 pm

ante omnium finem
"before the end of everything ('it all')" - awkward in English but only 3 latin words (the ones you started with....ante is appropriate since it's more of a prep phrase, and besides that your word choice was correct but endings were a little off.) I'm not sure how to incorpora ate the verb "end", or even which type of "end" to use, in place of the noun "end" but the meaning is the same. I'm sure someone will post with something brilliant & closer though. Good luck with your Latin studies!
phpbb
Amy
Textkit Fan

Postby benissimus » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:09 am

Amy has a nice translation. If you prefer a verb, "it ends", there are a number of ways. I suppose the most literal would be
ante omnia quam finientur
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Latin