Textkit Logo

Is Latin as hard as Greek or easier?

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Is Latin as hard as Greek or easier?

Postby John L » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:53 pm

I eventually want to study Latin, and I may just start sudying it sooner then I thought. I have been studying Greek for about a year, and I am just getting the hang of it now, and I feel comfortable to move on to a 2nd year course. But I have been considering jumping into Latin.

Are there any good couses for learning Latin that has a grammer course set up like Mounce? Such as focusing on the words that are used in the Bible the most?

Also, I was just curious if Latin was very hard to grasp, compared to Greek. Any suggestions? I study on my own so I am not under any academic obligations. I study for pure personal interest and a desire to understand the Scriptures better. So I am just hoping I can get some good suggestions and some "heads up" about Latin.
John L
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Aurelia » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:57 pm

from my personal experience with Latin I'd have to say that it's a lot easier than Greek (I'm just starting to study Greek). Latin is a lot easier to read because it uses our alphabet, and it looks to me like it has more words that are closer to English than Greek does. Of course, like I said I'm just starting Greek so I don't really know how close Greek is to English.
phpbb
Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Postby klewlis » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:17 pm

For an english speaker, latin is by far easier than greek--and even moreso if you have studied Greek prior to latin. I found that the vocab is like english and the grammar is similar to greek, so it was almost in between.
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Latin