Titanic - Pervivet Pro Te Hoc Cor

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

Titanic - Pervivet Pro Te Hoc Cor

Post by Gregorius »

I was so thrilled to finally get this years-old adaptation of mine recorded that I just had to share it! I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqO2zGW1_5E

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Titanic - Pervivet Pro Te Hoc Cor

Post by adrianus »

Benè factum est, Gregori. Macte!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

chodorov
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chodorov »

Wow, this was brilliant! I love seeing people who are good enough at Latin to do things like this. I hope I'll reach that level soon.

Anthony Appleyard
Textkit Member

Post by Anthony Appleyard »

A good song.

I noticed that the song routinely pronounces the word "sapio" = "I know" as two syllables "sapjo". This pronunciation seems to have been routine in spoken Late Latin (as shown by its outcomes in the derivative Romance languages); but it does not show in Latin hexameter verse.

I would imagine that one common problem in translating English songs into Latin is when the English song's tune ends each line with a stressed syllable.

Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

Anthony Appleyard wrote:I noticed that the song routinely pronounces the word "sapio" = "I know" as two syllables "sapjo". This pronunciation seems to have been routine in spoken Late Latin (as shown by its outcomes in the derivative Romance languages); but it does not show in Latin hexameter verse.
It's not entirely without precedent to reduce the I, though. Vergil has lavinjaque venit, for example. I don't know how common it is outside of that line itself, though.
mihi iussa capessere fas est