Textkit Logo

"Learning Latin Will Help You To Learn Another Language

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

"Learning Latin Will Help You To Learn Another Language

Postby Meowth » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:08 am

true or not true ?
Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Postby benissimus » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:43 am

Quite true, if that other language is descended from Latin. I imagine it also helps somewhat when learning another Indo-European language. Other languages that are not highly inflected often seem simple after learning Latin, but I would not consider this a benefit per se.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Lucus Eques » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:26 am

Actually, learning any language will make the learning of another easier. Latin, or German, is a good place to start since both are highly inflected, and also bare a lot in common with English (its two principle roots, in fact). After German, Latin was quite easy for me to pick up, as was Italian and French (which are in many respects practically the same language, in the best sense). But even totally obscure languages, such as Finnish, Japanese, even Elvish, were made much easier in the learning after I had studied Latin. One language leads to another with tremendous ease, much more than you might ever imagine.

And also, after Latin, everything will feel like a day in the park. ;)
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Postby Meowth » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:08 pm

lol

well, spanish is my mothertongue, not english, so i have been told all my life that learning latin / portuguese / italiaan, etc, would be EASY for me to learn

but... i was thinking this year (when i started to learn french 6 months ago) that learning latin BEFORE continuing learning another language would help me, even for french, that's my main reason

thanks for replying !!! i think i'll be "bothering" you here with my questions ;)

btw, i'm learning latin on my own, and i got a book called "the everything latin learning book" by richard prior; is it really good ? should i start to take my latin lessons from another book (maybe d'ooge's or wheelock's ?); or taking lessons with internet (if available) ?

thanks !
Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Titus Marius Crispus » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:10 pm

I had a dream last night that I found a book, 26 languages through Latin, which taught you the basics of 26 different languages using Latin.

It was over $50, so I couldn't buy it.. :(
Titus Marius Crispus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Amy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:47 pm

If you are learning Latin to make French easy why not just spend the time on French? it's VERY similar to Spanish and also to English. If you've learned this crazy language you can learn ANYTHING else without having to prepare for it :roll:
phpbb
Amy
Textkit Fan

Postby Meowth » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:42 am

i'm getting scared :shock:

is latin THAT difficult ?
Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Amaranta » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:48 am

If you are a native Spanish speaker, I'd think that Latin would be a LOT easier for you than it would be for most English speakers. I've studied Spanish for a while before learning Latin independently, and I've found that a lot of the vocabulary is similar, and verb conjugation is very similar. It's not easy, sure, but I don't think that anything worth doing is truly easy. :)
Amaranta
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Amy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:40 am

Oh no way! Learning Spanish beforehand made Latin verbs etc. a breeze (even though I still make embarassing errors). I even think it would be easier than French because if you're self-studying, you've got to learn French pronounciation yourself. It all depends what your goals are and what you want to do with French and Latin once you learn them
phpbb
Amy
Textkit Fan

Postby Lucus Eques » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:19 am

It's not easy, sure, but I don't think that anything worth doing is truly easy.

Thank you! That's the point I've been trying to make over here.

Oh no way! Learning Spanish beforehand made Latin verbs etc. a breeze (even though I still make embarassing errors). I even think it would be easier than French because if you're self-studying, you've got to learn French pronounciation yourself. It all depends what your goals are and what you want to do with French and Latin once you learn them.

I'd also like to recommend that learning Italian, before any other language when starting from English, is absolutely the best way, particularly within the Romance languages. Italian to Spanish is much, much easier a transition than Spanish to Italian, or any another of the Romance tongues. Also, French and Italian share innumerable commonalities among themselves; in comparison to Spanish or Romanian or any other, they are practically the same language. Spanish has numerous idioms which are rather pecular when compared with French or Italian — or even Latin, for Italian is, of course, the closest of the living languages to Latin. Heck, most of the infinitives of verbs in Italian are exactly the same as they are in Latin, with, if at all, only minor alterations in meaning.

I recommend Italian before Latin because it is much easier than Latin, and yet is a perfect bridge, especially for adult or young adult learners, from English into Romana. Also, Italian has many more cognates to English words than Latin, as Italian is very close in diction to the French which has given us most of our vocabulary. Italian is incredibly helpful to comprehending the othewise seemingly illogical differences between Latin and English vocabulary.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin