One or two more N&H English to Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

One or two more N&H English to Latin

Post by phil »

Some more N&H preliminary ones
Neither the king nor his sons will be killed. Nec rex nec filii sui necabuntur. I'm not sure if sui, being reflexive, is correct because that the sons are also part of the subject. Eius seems even more wrong.
Did you, who were present, see him? Tune, qui aderat(adiit), eum vidisti? I originally had Vidistine eum, qui aderas? but I think that is even more wrong.
They were thought to be very wise. Putati sunt esse sapientissimi. Should 'very wise' be nominative or accusative? I've got nom, because 'they were thought..' they are the subject, and they are very wise.
--------------
puto scribere Latinam linguam esse difficilius quam eam legere!

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

I think for the second one it should be aderas because it is 2nd person singular right? it would be aderat if the sentence were "did he, etc."

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: One or two more N&H English to Latin

Post by benissimus »

phil wrote:Some more N&H preliminary ones
Neither the king nor his sons will be killed. Nec rex nec filii sui necabuntur. I'm not sure if sui, being reflexive, is correct because that the sons are also part of the subject. Eius seems even more wrong.
This is a good question. I believe sui is correct, but I couldn't find it discussed in A&G. I hope someone else can enlighten us both on this.
Did you, who were present, see him? Tune, qui aderat(adiit), eum vidisti? I originally had Vidistine eum, qui aderas? but I think that is even more wrong.
Aurelia is quite correct on this one. I am not sure why adiit is in parentheses, as the word "approached" does not have any place in this sentence. Your original translation would ok, but perhaps with qui next to an added tu, lest there be confusion with the possible antecedent eum (did you see who you were? :shock: ).

They were thought to be very wise. Putati sunt esse sapientissimi. Should 'very wise' be nominative or accusative? I've got nom, because 'they were thought..' they are the subject, and they are very wise.
Nominative is correct, unless you choose to use a more drastic impersonal (putatum est eos esse sapientissimos). I do think that this sentence would be better expressed in the imperfect, as "being thought to be very wise" is typically something that occurs over a span of time.
puto scribere Latinam linguam esse difficilius quam eam legere!
verum est quod pulchre dixisti
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Sed cogito linguam latinam legere scribendo facilior (vel facilioram? nescio) fieri.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

phil
Textkit Fan

Re: One or two more N&H English to Latin

Post by phil »

benissimus wrote:I am not sure why adiit is in parentheses, as the word "approached" does not have any place in this sentence.
The explanation is quite simple, I got adsum and adeo mixed up! :oops: