Textkit Logo

Need help for a teen!

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Need help for a teen!

Postby PastorJeff » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:10 pm

Thank you so much for all your help with my translation that you all helped with. We are having a coat of arms developed for the entire youth group and are going to be using "Bound by the blood of the cross" on it...thank you so much!

I had a teen that is drawing up the coat of arms for us to send to the actual developer and his grandmother showed him his family's coat of arms that was for the Wright family line.

On the coat of arms is a banner that says "Mens Sibi Conscia Recti" (that is a direct quote from the coat of arms). What does this mean? From my studies I figured that "Mens" means mind, but I cannot find the pure definitions of any of the other words. The best that I can come up with is that it says "a mind or thought to where we are aware of our own integrity"

Am I anywhere close on this one?

Is this not Latin (which is a huge possibility)?

Thanks for the help.

Jeffrey
phpbb
PastorJeff
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Turpissimus » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:00 pm

Hullo there, Pastor.

Mens sibi conscia recti

Mens is as you so correctly state mind, or a mind.

Conscia is the feminine form of conscius which means privy to, in the know with regard to, conscious of.

So together this means "a mind conscious of". But of what? Recti comes from the latin rectum a neuter second declension noun meaning "right, virtue" or more generally that which is right. Here it's in the genitive case. So "a mind conscious of the right thing"

Sibi generally means "for or to (the subject of the sentence)". So we get "a mind conscious of the right thing for itself". I imagine the basic thrust of the dictum is "a mind that is aware of what it is morally right for it to do".

Whiteoctave will be along in a minute. He'll provide a much more learned answer for you.....
Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby whiteoctave » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:09 pm

evening,

yeah, turps' translation is generally sound. i would render it as:

a mind aware of its own rectitude.

the phrase comes verbatim from Virgil's Aeneid (I.604).

Has 'bound by the blood of the cross' already been translated here then?

~D
whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby PastorJeff » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:12 pm

whiteoctave wrote:Has 'bound by the blood of the cross' already been translated here then?

~D

Yes, and very well I might add! Here is a link to the translation...

http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2111&highlight=

Thanks for the help on this one. I had a bit of a rough time trying to figure it out. He was very excited to hear what it meant.

Thanks guys!

Jeffrey
phpbb
PastorJeff
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin