Textkit Logo

In gratiam luminis ...

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

In gratiam luminis ...

Postby pb » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:19 pm

can anyone help with "in gratiam luminis"? - The obvious literal translation for gratia doesn't seem to me to apply. I wonder if 'in gratiam' has some special meaning but my dictionaries only give:- "in kindness, to show favor, out of good feeling, to show honor, etc., to any one".

I know that 'gratia' can be 'for the sake of' but that doesn't seem to be applicable as used in this case. 'gratiam' here is dependent upon 'in' - maybe I should try to make sense of the obvious, but ...
pb
Textkit Neophyte

Postby klewlis » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:15 pm

what's the context?
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Timothy » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:27 pm

I read it as, "pleasing to the Light"

A religious context? This is sound like, "May it please the Light,..."

- tim
phpbb
Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby benissimus » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:59 pm

In an ecclesiastical context, this could probably be translated as into the light's grace. Context would make it clearer as to whether it should be translated literally or idiomatically.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Timothy » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:13 am

benissimus wrote:In an ecclesiastical context, this could probably be translated as into the light's grace.

I think my first shot there was off the mark, too. The words didn't quite add up this afternoon. Something is off with this, as far as I can tell.

Context would help.

- Tim
phpbb
Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Latin