Help, please!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
yo mama
Textkit Neophyte

Help, please!

Post by yo mama »

My friend mod already made a post for me the other day related to this, but I am here now to lay out my problem for you. ;)<br /><br />I am the marketing director for a major nonprofit organization in my community, United Way. We are working on a plan to attract donations from local attorneys. My boss has asked me to help her come up with a catchy yet distinguished-sounding name for a special club/association/ society (or whatever) for attorneys who give at the $1000+ level. <br /><br />The best we've heard so far is Conjunctis Pro-Bono Publico. (I think, but I'm not even sure if that is syntactically and connotatively correct.) Does that sound like a good name? Can you come up with something better?<br /><br />Please have fun with it, but I'm trusting you not to take advantage of my naivete ??? ::) and name it something crazy that would potentially offend folks or make them laugh behind our backs!! :P Here are some words to get you going: avocatus, cura, donon, dux, juris, junctis, orbis.<br /><br />Your help would be much appreciated! :)

Magistra
Textkit Member

Re:Help, please!

Post by Magistra »

That sounds good, however gramatically it should be coniuncti.<br /><br />How about advocati coniuncti pro bono publico? (Using j for i came into use in post-classical times. I think the i looks classier -- pun intended.)<br /><br />That means attorneys united for the public good.<br /><br />The term pro bono (publico) often has the connotation that the attorney has provided his services gratis. That would tie in with their contribution to the community via the United Way. You can see how the term is used at this website. (I have no affiliation; it just turned up in a search for pro bono publico.)<br /><br />http://www.phillipslytle.com/pro_bono_publico.asp<br /><br />I hope you have lots of attorneys who meet the requirement!<br /><br />Magistra

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I agree with Magistra, however I think the Classical look is not in fashion when it comes to modern architecture. People like to see "J" and "U" instead of unpronounceable words like "CONIVNCTI".<br /><br />So to offer an alternative for "advocati coniuncti pro bono publico"... I might suggest "Advocati conjuncti pro bono publico".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

yo mama
Textkit Neophyte

Post by yo mama »

Thank you for your responses!<br /><br />I will submit this suggestion to our director. Meanwhile, anyone else who wishes to reply, feel free ... in case she doesn't like this idea or if you feel you have a better recommendation.