Textkit Logo

Nepos' Agesilaus

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Nepos' Agesilaus

Postby bingley » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:11 am

Can anyone help me out with this sentence from Cornelius Nepos' Life of Agesilaus (6.3)

Namque illi, aucto numero eorum qui expertes erant consilii, commovere se non sunt ausi eoque libentius, quod latere arbitrabantur quae cogitaverant.

For they, by the increase in number of those who were not part of the plan, did not dare to move more and the more willingly because they thought ???? what they had been considering.

It's the 'latere' that's giving me trouble. I think it's an ablative from later lateris (brick) or latus lateris (side), neither of which seems to make much sense.

For more of the context see: http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/nepos/nepos.age.shtml
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby ptran » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:02 pm

More likely that it's from the verb lateo, latere- to be hidden, to lurk, to hide etc., etc. Maybe that helps?
ptran
Textkit Neophyte

Postby bingley » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:31 pm

Now that would make sense. Thanks.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Latin