Aliquo tandem modo

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pb
Textkit Neophyte

Aliquo tandem modo

Post by pb »

Hi! does anyone know how I should translate the 'tandem' in 'aliquo tandem modo' ?

I know that basically the 'aliquo modo' is 'in some way'

from the context the nearest that I have any "feel" for is where Lewis & Short offer =>

Tandem

B. In partic., in interrogative clauses, pray, pray now, now, then: quid tandem, what in the world, etc. (very freq. in class. prose):

making me think of: 'in some unknown way'

any ideas?

ptran
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ptran »

Can you post the rest of the sentence or give the passage?

pb
Textkit Neophyte

the whole sentence:

Post by pb »

Haec Propositio paradoxum est, & ex terminis ipsis magnam praesfert improbabilitatem, quia luminis est illustrare, non autem obscurare superficiem corporis opaci, ad quam terminatur, & cui aliquo tandem modo se communicat.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I think in this case tandem would mean "at last / in the end". Aliquo is probably an adverb here meaning "wherever", as it would be redundant to have two relative pronouns right next to each other.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ptran
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ptran »

What are the two relative pronouns next to one another? "Aliquo" is an indefinite adjective/pronoun/adverb, and "cui" is definitely the relative pronoun. Do we all agree that the antecedent of "cui" is "superficiem"?

I'm leaning with you towards "tandem" meaning "finally" as a summary of argument, used much like "denique." Can someone look up "tandem" used with other adjectives in the OLD? Mine's in the shop.

Who's the author of the passage? Maybe we ought to ante up and post our translations for the passage?

ptran
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ptran »

But isn't it an indefinite adjective modifying "modo"?

"To/for which it finally imparts itself in some way."

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I think I had a blond moment.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

pb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by pb »

Thans to everyone; That dialogue was very useful. The same author has a similar construction in other part of the book which appears similarly confusing to me; should I just take it literally?

"aliquam tandem latitudinem"

- from the complete sentence

Excipiatur deinde in tabella candita, vel in folio chartæ albæ super pavimento extensæ, conus prædictus, seu basis eius lucida CD, cum umbra GH, quam proijcit opacum EF insertum cono, & illuminatum in utroq; sui extremo E & F: quæ tamen umbra secundùm leges Opticas non erit exactissime præcisa, & terminata in uno punto G versùs una partem, & in uno alio puncto H versùs aliam: sed ratione foraminis AB, aliquam tandem latitudinem habentis, simulq; ratione Solis in latum extensi , aliave de causa erit confinium umbræ aliquo modo incertum propter penumbram quandam, & cum sensibili decremento, seu ut vocant exsumatione luminis per spatium IG inter certam umbram, & nitidum lumen ad unam partem prædictæ basis, & per spatium HL ad aliam partem.

ptran
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ptran »

Again, this tandem seems to be a summarizing adverb.

What the heck are you reading, some Geometry textbook or something?

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Post by Democritus »

Is this quote from Isaac Newton?