Pronunciation samples for beginners

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
lindylars
Textkit Neophyte

Pronunciation samples for beginners

Post by lindylars »

Hello. I have come across previous posts that discuss where one can access samples of readings from classical literature, such as this one, but was wondering if anyone was aware of something more suitable for folks just starting out on their own (or for those who do not have the benefit of having some classicists to work with directly)?

In D'ooge's case (I'm assuming Wheelock and M&F would have something similar) this could consist of the speaker going through the sounds and words in sections 5, 6, and 7 (or for completeness just reading out these sections verbatim so the reader can follow along at leisure). This can also be augmented by portions from Syllables (sections 8 - 9), Quantity (sections 11 - 13) and Accent (sections 14 - 16). Finally, having a rendition of Excelsior on pages 10 - 11 (just in Latin) would be a nice, but not absolutely necessary, wrap up to the introductory samples. For folks using Wheelock and M&F, the samples could be tailored to their specific texts. Or we could have a "standard" set of samples to serve as a guide for all regardless of the text being used which would make sense for storage/bandwidth reasons.

Textkit could provide these samples as an .mp3 (with Jeff's blessing of course and some kind volunteers taking the time to record the samples) accessible via a sticky post in each respective forum (i.e. D'ooge, Wheelock and M&F) or if we go with a "one size fits all" sample set then it would be a sticky in the general Learning Latin forum. A corresponding effort could be done for the Greek side of things but that is OT for this post. Sound like a reasonable idea? Any other suggestions? Thank you for the time and kind consideration.

Regards,
Ron

KohlyKohl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by KohlyKohl »

Yeah even just the letters said out loud once would be great. I can speak Latin well but have never heard anyone else speak it before, so i'm in the dark on wether i'm speaking it right.

Fredericus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fredericus »

The Read It Right! http://www.classicsnet.plus.com/readitr ... _intro.htm site I mentioned in the previous thread is pretty good for beginners, I'd think. The navigation's a little odd: one has the pull-down menu at the top left and the scrollbar at the right to manipulate.

It's in Flash and can be downloaded, as well as run directoy off the Web.