Textkit Logo

subjunctive perfect vowel lengths

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

subjunctive perfect vowel lengths

Postby Fredericus » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:51 am

I'm all the way to Moreland & Fleischer's Unit 2 (whoo-hoo!), and have noticed a discrepancy in its Subjunctive Perfect Active forms and those of another couple of books I'm consulting (e.g., an old Jenney, I believe). M&H don't have macrons on the initial -i of the suffixes:

-erim
-eris
-erit
-erimus
-eritis
-erint

Whereas other books say the initial i is long, and so show macrons for -eris, -erimus, and -eritis. Without the macrons most of these forms collide with those of the Future Perfect Indicative Active.

Is this a change between an earlier form and a latter classical form, or different scholarly opinions on what the vowel length should be, North Latin and South Latin, or what?
Fredericus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Ulpianus » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:12 am

Both forms can be found (i.e. both long and short i). A+G suggest that the original form was long-i, but that short i became common precisely because of assimilation to the fut. perf.

Grammars seem to vary: some mark the i long, some leave it short, and some mark it as being either long or short.
Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Postby Fredericus » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:47 am

Thanks; I'll just be on the look-out for both forms, then.
Fredericus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Episcopus » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:02 pm

It's much like the varying short/long mihi/mihí (or even mí) which adds to the flexbility of lengths in writing poetry. I've seen both forms, but more of the short.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin