neolatin and converational latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

neolatin and converational latin

Post by klewlis »

Two questions! :)

1) I'm looking for an online lexicon of neolatin and have not been able to find anything useful. Any ideas?

2) Does anyone have "Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency: Phrasebook and Dictionary" by John Traupman? I'm wondering whether it would have some of the vocab that I'm looking for. What all does it cover? Does it include slang, profanities, technological terms, etc?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

JuliaP
Textkit Neophyte

Re: neolatin and converational latin

Post by JuliaP »

klewlis wrote:Two questions! :)

2) Does anyone have "Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency: Phrasebook and Dictionary" by John Traupman? I'm wondering whether it would have some of the vocab that I'm looking for. What all does it cover? Does it include slang, profanities, technological terms, etc?
It has XXIV chapters, each consisting of three model conversations and a section of "topical vocabulary." These are followed by a final chapter on grammar, four appendices, and a "general vocabulary" section.

I've only gone through the first XII chapters so far, as this is as far as the companion audio tape goes. I've noticed no profanity at all. Chapter XI covers "Useful Colloquial Expressions," is that considered slang? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of technological terms. It has words for "electrician" and "photographer" but not "computer" or "programmer!"

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Thanks, Julia.

It sounds like this would be a great book to have, but maybe not for my immediate purposes.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NelsonN »

klewlis wrote:... technological terms, etc?
Have you seen this page? It has neo-latin words for the computing industry.

http://www.obta.uw.edu.pl/~draco/docs/voccomp.html

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

NelsonN wrote:
klewlis wrote:... technological terms, etc?
Have you seen this page? It has neo-latin words for the computing industry.

http://www.obta.uw.edu.pl/~draco/docs/voccomp.html

yes, thank you. :) I had checked it and got a couple of the words I needed.