Quarum et Cuius

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
sapz
Textkit Neophyte

Quarum et Cuius

Post by sapz »

Hello,

I'm currently working my way through "lingua latina per se illustrata" of Hans Orberg.
I've just reached the eighth chapter and I'm having some troubles at grasping the meaning of "quarum" and "cuius".

For example, in the sentence "Feminae quarum viri magnam pecuniam habent multa ornamenta a viris suis accipiunt", what would be the meaning of "quarum"? Is it sort-of replacable by "qui earum", as in "Feminae qui viri earum" etc. ?

The same question applies to "Aemilia, cuius vir pecuniosus est, multa ornamenta ab eo accipit".
Is "cuius" here sort-of equatable with "quae eius"? "Aemilia, quae vir eius pecuniosus est" etc.

Oh, and since I'm already opening a topic, I might as well ask another question.
The following sentences appear in the chapter: "Quot nummis constat anulus in quo gemma est", "Hic anulus centum nummis constat".
Why in those sentences, "nummi" have the "is" postfix? Should'nt it be the accusative case, "nummos"?

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks! :D

MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Quarum et Cuius

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

both are forms of the personal pronoun qui or quis, the former example is m f n genitive singular, the latter f genitive plural.
the last sentence is an example of the ablative of price, hence nummis. how much something costs is represented in the ablative, here it happens to be plural.

Grochojad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Grochojad »

sapz wrote:For example, in the sentence "Feminae quarum viri magnam pecuniam habent multa ornamenta a viris suis accipiunt", what would be the meaning of "quarum"? Is it sort-of replacable by "qui earum", as in "Feminae qui viri earum" etc. ?
It's a relative pronoun meaning "whose" it is plural.
sapz wrote:The same question applies to "Aemilia, cuius vir pecuniosus est, multa ornamenta ab eo accipit".
Is "cuius" here sort-of equatable with "quae eius"? "Aemilia, quae vir eius pecuniosus est" etc.
As above but "cuius" is singular.
sapz wrote:Oh, and since I'm already opening a topic, I might as well ask another question.
The following sentences appear in the chapter: "Quot nummis constat anulus in quo gemma est", "Hic anulus centum nummis constat".
Why in those sentences, "nummi" have the "is" postfix? Should'nt it be the accusative case, "nummos"?
It's an ablative of price/ablativus pretii. Postfix, couldn't you just write "suffix"? :wink:

sapz
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sapz »

Thank you very much! I didn't realize that price necessitates the ablative case.

Grochojad - I could have used "suffix", but for some reason only "postfix" came to mind. Mea maxima culpa!

MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

Aaahh after I take my fix, I need a postfix to feel even better.