Simple question (I think)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
glass_snake
Textkit Neophyte

Simple question (I think)

Post by glass_snake »

I have what I believe to be a pretty easy question.

I've come up with a phrase, but I'm a real amateur with Latin. I know the conjugation is rather complex so I want to make sure I have this right.

I'm trying to say "dark land" or "land of darkness". Would the correct phrase be "Terra Noctis"? Or do I have the word-endings wrong?

Thank you VERY much for any help!

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

It looks right to me :) What you said was "Land of night", which gets across the meaning and is poetic as well. There are other words for "darkness" but they imply mental darkness or fuzziness, as opposed to blackness, so I think yours was the best choice of words.

ptran
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ptran »

I'm not sure if you're looking for this, but you could also say 'terra tenebrarum' or make up some neo-Latin like 'Tenebria'- Shadowland.

glass_snake
Textkit Neophyte

Post by glass_snake »

Thank you both very much!

I'll probably stick with "Terra Noctis" because it's a much shorter phrase and easier to remember. Since I'll be using this in prose, I don't want to confuse the reader to much.

Thanks again for the help!