Just checking...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Amy
Textkit Fan

Just checking...

Post by Amy »

...to see if these are correct.

This large fierce animal ought to be killed by a sword heavier than mine.
Hoc animal magnum acreque interfici gladio graviore quam meo debet.

Oughtn't you to be more friendly to Julia's kinsmen?
Nonne amicior esse propinquis Iuliae debes?

Which of these girls is most like the queen?
Quae harum puellarum similima reginae est?

note: yes, I'm getting sick of these Jenney sentences too! switching to wheelock soon, hopefully.

Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete »

They all look pretty good to me. I didn't look up some words and I am tired, so I'll just assume they are all spelled right and they take the right cases.

The only thing I can mention off-hand is the number of l's in "similima." lllllllllllllllllllllllllla lalalallllllllaa, yeah, say it like that, similllllllllimus. That's how I say it. illlllllllllllllimus. On second thought, just put two l's (simillima).

Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete »

P.S. I like Wheelock too, but if you are switching to it merely because you want more exciting practice sentences, then you are like to be disappointed.

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

Right, simillima, thanks! :)
It's not so much that Jenney is boring as it is that the sentences are all sort of formulaic and I feel as if I'm not learning as much as I could be. I think I've translated, essentially, "The general led the troops into the camp by the river" maybe 15, 20 times...