Roman numerals

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Roman numerals

Post by benissimus »

Could someone with some knowledge of Roman numerals please help me figure out how to say 260972? :?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

KohlyKohl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by KohlyKohl »

Not an easy task considering the Romans didn't feel they needed a word for anything higher than 1000. ALso using the Basic Roman Numeral system the highest Number possible was 4,999. Romans did use many ways to represent numbers higher, but were all very confusing to use and really didn't have common mainstream ways of using them.

Using the below table:
M=1000 | D=500 | C=100 | L=50 | X=10 | V=5 | I=1

You can however put a line above the number multiplying it by 1000 however I have no idea how you would pronounce those.

So you could use 2 C's with Lines over them for 100000
Leaving you with 60972, so 1 L with a line over it would be 50000 leaving you with 10972. 1 X with a line is 10000, 1 D leaves you with 472. So in the end you'd have:
_____
CCLXDCCCCLXXII

I'm not even going to attempt to figure out how to say that.
Last edited by KohlyKohl on Wed May 12, 2004 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Roman numerals

Post by NelsonN »

benissimus wrote:Could someone with some knowledge of Roman numerals please help me figure out how to say 260972? :?
Here are two online Roman Mumeral translators:

1-3899:
http://www.24hourtranslations.co.uk/rnumerals.htm

1 - 4999:
http://www.guernsey.net/~sgibbs/roman.html

KohlyKohl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by KohlyKohl »

Those sites are nice and all if you are doing normal Roman Calculations > 5000. As you can see this number is slightly larger than that. Not by much though...

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NelsonN »

KohlyKohl wrote:Those sites are nice and all if you are doing normal Roman Calculations > 5000. As you can see this number is slightly larger than that. Not by much though...
Yes, I know. But just in case someone else asks about Roman Numerals, they can come in handy. :)

KohlyKohl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by KohlyKohl »

Very true! I've used them before and they have helped me out alot in the past. Roman Numberals are a pain the ass and i'd rather have a program figure it out for me. I'm still doing research into how that number is said. Unfortunitly I cannot find any words for the bigger numbers.

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Is this acceptable:
ducenti sexaginta milia nongenti septuaginta duo ?
Or is this a naïve and failed attempt at converting French to something resembling terrible Latin :( ?
Last edited by Michaelyus on Wed May 12, 2004 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Thanks for the help, I found this site if you are interested:
http://www2.inetdirect.net/~charta/Roman_numerals.html

Now that I am thoroughly educated about Roman numerals, I must figure out how to use my immense knowledge...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Roman numerals

Post by ingrid70 »

benissimus wrote:Could someone with some knowledge of Roman numerals please help me figure out how to say 260972? :?
bis centena milia sexagena milia nongenti septuaginta duo.

2 * 100000 + 60 * 1000 + 900 + 70 + 2

if I read my grammar right, that is. I've only just noted that I've got a grammar that does numerals up to 1.000.000.

Ingrid