Textkit Logo

How am I doing?

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

How am I doing?

Postby NelsonN » Tue May 04, 2004 1:24 am

I have a problem memorizing the many rules. OK, I was never that great for memorizing Subject, Predicate, etc., in English or Spanish, so what makes me think I will in Latin? :oops:

BTW, I am not giving up. :)

John is a great programmer.

John est programmator maxime.
NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Postby benissimus » Tue May 04, 2004 4:10 am

maxime is an adverb (greatly) and superlative (great/greater/greatest). You should use the adjective magnus.

Just curious, but where did you locate programmator? It's not in my dictionary of course, but it is probably Neo Latin.
Last edited by benissimus on Tue May 04, 2004 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby NelsonN » Tue May 04, 2004 10:27 am

benissimus wrote:Just curious, but where did you locate programmator? It's not in my dictionary of course, but it is probably Neo Latin.

Don't remember exactly how I got to the page.

Vocabularium computatrale Anglico-Latinum
http://www.obta.uw.edu.pl/~draco/docs/voccomp.html

Can you tell me all the Latin categories? I know Classical and Ecclesiastic, now Neo. What are the differences? Is the sentence structure different as well?
NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin