Textkit Logo

Neva Get Enuf

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Cuius mittendus reditus cantores ad ipsas?

Episcopi
50%
Benissimi
50%
Nullius, namque ambo multos sugiunt optionum primarum!!!
No votes

Total votes : 4

Neva Get Enuf

Postby Episcopus » Sat May 01, 2004 2:35 pm

A while ago Steven was sitting at home, a school night (he didn't go in) 4 am, listening to his favourite tracks whilst staring at a booklet of JWW pages stapled together. He was thinking about the lack of activity on textkit laughing how blunt JWW is and bumping his caput to a class track, by girl group 3LW (now 2LW still titled 3LW because one of the girls threw chicken in another girl's face) aptly titled "Neva Get Enuf". He thought that their notorious rather amusing commonspeech and lack of eloquence would make a transfixing contrast if led across to Latin.

Steven translated the awesome chorus whilst listening to the song at many strikes, by his idiosyncratic Latinity only. He also asked me to do a version also that we might compare the ways in which Latin can never be translated literally, and how language is affected by the mentality of the translators.

We be proving that Latin is easily better than modern expression, and has perished in that which concerns conversations since less people can access it. However, we ask those who are able to read it to pick the one which they prefer. Unless a poem's latinity be extremely sparse no certain one is necessarily better, but different. One incites that you only make a decision once you comprehend what be happening in each rendition through questions to the authors. Other competent additions are welcome. Also gratefully accepted are informal votes for the best lines
or appreciations of particularly queer unorthodox (i.e. Episcopal) lines!

The poems are not set in any paticular metre, there is no point really, and we'd like to keep this word order.

(I'm obviously going to put mine first heh)

English

He's gotta be the one
That I'm daydreaming to spend my time with
He's gotta be the one
With no chicks attached and that's my man

To all my girls that dream know what I'm talkin' 'bout
The ones that makes us cling to the thoughts of love
He's so fresh, he's so clean, yes, I call and he
calls me too
That's why he's bad, my babe, I could never
get enough

(Both of these are meant to have strange forms and syntax and basically to mock the poetic target that the readers not understand! whiteoctave if you wish to hurt us publicly please stay away...mate :? )

Latin (Episcopus)

Solo tempus eocum oportet in somnio
unus cor praebendus ille suum
aliis haud cum quaquam gallinis
coniugem fore illum meum

somniantes omnes ad meas
de quoque scientes alloquar sese
unus ille ut efficiens
amoris in imagines coniugamur
Quam nitens tam licens mente nunquam abstinens,
sese vocato etiam me reperit,
ideo coniunx meus
nunquam super ac satis,
posset quin adipiscar efficere.

Latin (benissimus)

nec possibile illo non somniem,
per diem quin catenis sit captus.

quae dicentem me cognoverint,
verbis coactae his sumus ut haereamus
amoribus ad cogitationes,
ac quam probissime tam clarus est
quem ego idem me aliter attigit,
huius nunquam satis habuero.

We should do poetry competitions really, with prizes. Something productive. I find that there are not enough learning a lot of Latin/greek nowadays. (Blunt I know but it is true, Steven back me up).
Thanks for reading this "like soo trash" as our 3lw would say.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Neva Get Enuf

Postby benissimus » Sat May 01, 2004 3:10 pm

Episcopus wrote:A while ago Steven was sitting at home, a school night (he didn't go in) 4 am, listening to his favourite tracks whilst staring at a booklet of JWW pages stapled together. He was thinking about the lack of activity on textkit laughing how blunt JWW is and bumping his caput to a class track, by girl group 3LW (now 2LW still titled 3LW because one of the girls threw chicken in another girl's face) aptly titled "Neva Get Enuf". He thought that their notorious rather amusing commonspeech and lack of eloquence would make a transfixing contrast if led across to Latin.

Steven translated the awesome chorus whilst listening to the song at many strikes, by his idiosyncratic Latinity only. He also asked me to do a version also that we might compare the ways in which Latin can never be translated literally, and how language is affected by the mentality of the translators.

Utter nonsense of your typical episcopal nature. You are going ban! I would never suffer to listen to 3LW when I could be listening to Carmina Burana or the Warped Tour soundtrack.

We be proving that Latin is easily better than modern expression, and has perished in that which concerns conversations since less people can access it. However, we ask those who are able to read it to pick the one which they prefer. Unless a poem's latinity be extremely sparse no certain one is necessarily better, but different. One incites that you only make a decision once you comprehend what be happening in each rendition through questions to the authors. Other competent additions are welcome. Also gratefully accepted are informal votes for the best lines
or appreciations of particularly queer unorthodox (i.e. Episcopal) lines!

The poems are not set in any paticular metre, there is no point really, and we'd like to keep this word order.

True dat.

P.S. carmen meum benissimum est.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Latin