Enclitics and Stress

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Sigma
Textkit Neophyte

Enclitics and Stress

Post by Sigma »

Where does the stress fall in a word with an enclitic attached? Does it remain where it would be without the enclitic, or do normal stress rules apply to determine the stress? That is, which of the following is correct?

habébimusne - stress not changed by the enclitic
habebimúsne - using the normal stress rules

I'm most interested in the classical period pronunciation, and how it should be read in prose. I assume funny stuff happens in poetry, but this isn't of interest to me because I'm still very much a beginner!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Enclitics and Stress

Post by adrianus »

It's pronounced habebimúsne // sonitur.
The enclitic attracts the accent. // Attrahit accentum encliticum.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Vide hoc:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0001:part=1:section=2&highlight=pronunciation+of+latin wrote:[*] a. When an enclitic is joined to a word, the accent falls on the syllable next before the enclitic, whether long or short: as, dĕă'que, ămārĕ've, tĭbĭ'ne, ită'que (and ... so), as distinguished from i'tăque (therefore). So (according to some) ex'inde, ec'quandō, etc.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Sigma
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sigma »

adrianus wrote:Vide hoc:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0001:part=1:section=2&highlight=pronunciation+of+latin wrote:[*] a. When an enclitic is joined to a word, the accent falls on the syllable next before the enclitic, whether long or short: as, dĕă'que, ămārĕ've, tĭbĭ'ne, ită'que (and ... so), as distinguished from i'tăque (therefore). So (according to some) ex'inde, ec'quandō, etc.
Excellent, thank you! My next question was going to be about the case of a short vowel such as in deaque, but you beat me to it.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Sigma wrote: My next question was going to be about the case of a short vowel such as in deaque, but you beat me to it.
It's a moot point but I would say follow A&G. Then at least you have the supportive evidence of the ancient grammarians.
Disputatur res. Ut grammaticam de A&G sequaris, dicam. Tunc argumenta saltem grammaticorum antiquorum probantia habeas.