Textkit Logo

I think, therefore I am dangerous

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

I think, therefore I am dangerous

Postby Oidhche » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:50 pm

Hi! I know that "cogito ergo sum" means "I think, therefore I am", but I was wondering how to say "I think, therefore I am dangerous". I would be really grateful for any help. Thanks in advance!
Oidhche
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Ulpianus » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:27 pm

In principle, and as a matter of grammar, this is easy: cogito ergo --- sum, where --- is an adjective meaning "dangerous". The only thing to do is choose the adjective.

But this is harder than you might think, because whereas "dangerous" in English is a word which has acquired some postive connotations, the Latin adjectives seem to lack that -- indeed, they generally have rather negative ones.

periculosus or periculosa if you are a woman. But this is normally applied to places or situations, not (so far as I can see) to people. It doesn't feel like good Latin to me.

lubricus literally "slippery" can be applied to people whose arguments are dangerous: but it has overtones of craftiness, trickery or deception which you do not want.

infestus looks like the closest match: hostile, antagonistic, dangerous. But it really needs to be qualified by an explanation of what you are dangerous too or it might simply be taken to mean savage, violent, obnoxious.

What sort of danger do you see your thinking-self as posing? To whom?
Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Postby benissimus » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:06 am

my first thought was cogito ergo minor, "I think therefore I threaten". Not exactly the same meaning, but concise.

Vale
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Oidhche » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:20 am

It seems that infestus is indeed the best word. By dangerous I mean dangerous to those who wish to control others by telling them what to think, what is "right", and discouraging them from thinking for themselves.

Thanks for help!
Oidhche
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Ulpianus » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:30 pm

Could you live with "tyrant" as a one word encapsulation of what you have in mind?

cogito ergo tyranni infestus sum

(or, for a more home-grown Roman version: dictatori).
Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Postby Oidhche » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:51 pm

I think it's pretty good, it's accurate and sounds nice. Thanks a lot!
Oidhche
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin