Translation help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
zexrct
Textkit Neophyte

Translation help

Post by zexrct »

I'm learning latin from the "teach yourself beginner's latin" book, and I have trouble when it comes to translating from english to latin because of the word order. Can you please check them for me?

-Paul is walking in the wood. The mule is walking with Paul. The mule is not carrying Paul but the sack. Paul is tired and the mule is slow. The mule does not like the wood. The mule watches the wood. The wood watches the mule. The mule is scared.

-Paulus in silvam ambulat. Mulus cum Paulum ambulat. Mulus non Paulum portat sed sarcinam. Paulus est fessus et mulus est lentus. Mulus silvam non amat. Mulus silvam spectat. Silva mulum spectat. Mulus est territus.

Some of my sentences aren't like the book's translations so i'm just curious if they're correct or not just because the word order isn't the same.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Translation help

Post by ingrid70 »

zexrct wrote:
-Paulus in silvam ambulat. Mulus cum Paulum ambulat.
As Paul seems to be in the wood already, the first sentence should be: Paulus in silva ambulat. As it stands it means: Paul walked into the wood.
cum takes an ablative: Mulus cum Paulo ambulat.
The rest seems fine to me. Well done!

Ingrid

chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chrisb »

Mulus non Paulum portat sed sarcinam.
There is nothing 'wrong' with this, but as the general rule is to place the verb last, the following might be stylistically preferable:

Mulus non Paulum sed sarcinam portat.

chrisb