a newbie on latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

a newbie on latin

Post by Meowth »

hi

my sister bought me a book called "the everything learning latin book", by richard prior... is it good to learn latin by myself ?

i've heard wheelock's one is one of the best, and i tried to get it but couldn't :(

solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Post by solitario »

Salve Meowth!

I'm not familiar with that book. But I am using Wheelock's, and have found it a lot better than my father's and grandfather's "archaic" grammars from the 60's and 30's respectively.
Good luck and welcome to textkit.

Vale bene!

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kerastes »

solitario wrote:But I am using Wheelock's, and have found it a lot better than my father's and grandfather's "archaic" grammars from the 60's and 30's respectively.
Wow. For what it's worth, I've found the very opposite, though in fairness I only have the 3rd edition of Wheelock. I don't see why it's so popular. There isn't the kind of practice in it that one finds in the older textbooks, and especially those posted on Textkit.

Kerastes

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Kerastes wrote:
solitario wrote:But I am using Wheelock's, and have found it a lot better than my father's and grandfather's "archaic" grammars from the 60's and 30's respectively.
Wow. For what it's worth, I've found the very opposite, though in fairness I only have the 3rd edition of Wheelock. I don't see why it's so popular. There isn't the kind of practice in it that one finds in the older textbooks, and especially those posted on Textkit.

Kerastes
I really have to see one of these old editions so I can know what people are talking about when they say Wheelock doesn't have enough exercises! In my book, the 6th edition, there are about 15 Practice and Reviews, 15 Sententiae Antiquae, 1-5 Reading Passages, and 30 Self-Tutorial exercises (with key) for each chapter, not to mention the Loci Antiqui and Loci Immutati. This is far more work than any other book I have ever seen :?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

:) thanks a lot for replying

ok so i'll try my best to get wheelock's book (at least used on amazon... or you know any other online bookstore ?)

this book i have is new, from 2003, and has some exercises, but being honest, i don't like so much to learn a language only thru grammar in its entirety, and "old" books, specially written by priests, have many grammar rules only to be memorised

also, i do hope to get help online, here and maybe takin' some lessons / exercises on websites... can you recommend me some ? please

i know people is offerin' online courses with wheelock's 6th edition, that was the main reason to get that book

any help, you know, really appreciated :) :) :)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Hi Meowth,

Welcome to Textkit!!

I can't really comment on Wheelock since I'm using a differnt book. A lot of people here are using it, so you can easily seek help in the Wheelock forum on Textkit ... that is, if you decide to use Wheelock for your Latin studies.

The nice thing abou Wheelock is that the book is very reasonably priced. It is $14.67 on Amazon. You can purchase it through the "Support Textkit" link way down at the bottom of the page, or click on this link : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 43-4340909

Kimble
Textkit Neophyte

Re: a newbie on latin

Post by Kimble »

Salve,

I have both a 3rd and 6th edition of Wheelock and I prefer the 3rd. I picked it up a couple of years ago in a used book shop but recently had to find a used copy of the 6th edition for an online study group I've subscribed to (some of the practice questions are different).

As I said, I prefer the 3rd edition. I find it compact and concise whereas the 6th edition is oversized and wordy. It almost seems that it has been dumbed down for the contemporary student.

I also have in my possession my High School textbook from 1983! It would be still fun to use if only I could find an answer key to check myself on.

Rob Carignan[face=Verdana][/face]

Kimble
Textkit Neophyte

Where to buy Wheelock

Post by Kimble »

Salve,

I forgot to mention. If you are near a college town and there is an off campus used bookstore (we have one called Campus Bookstore), check there!

Vale,
Rob Cargnan
Kimble