Textkit Logo

Strange use of infinitive in Caesar's Gallic Wars

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Strange use of infinitive in Caesar's Gallic Wars

Postby TonyLoco23 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Just started reading Caesar's Gallic Wars, I have come across a strange use of the infinitive of the verb 'flagitare':
Interim cotidie Caesar Haeduos frumentum, quod essent publice polliciti, flagitare.

The translation for this sentence on Perseus is:
Meanwhile, Caesar kept daily importuning the Aedui for the corn which they had promised in the name of their state

Why is 'Flagitare' in an infinitive instead of a past tense: i.e. flagitavit or flagitabat?

Also, seeing as 'Haeduos' is clearly accusative, in what form is 'frumentum'? meaning "for the corn". Is it also accusative? If so why? Does flagitare take a accustaive for both the thing being demanded and from whom it is being demanded? I have not seen a sentence before that has two nouns in accusative from that both act as an object of a single verb.
TonyLoco23
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Strange use of infinitive in Caesar's Gallic Wars

Postby adrianus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:19 pm

A&G §463. Infinitivum historicum pro indicativo imperfecto stat (nominativo casu est subjectum) // Historical infinitive stands for the imperfect indicative (subject in nominative).

A&G §396 (non minùs §391 et numera sequentia). Two accusatives with verbs. // Duo accusativa cum verbis.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Strange use of infinitive in Caesar's Gallic Wars

Postby Sinister Petrus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:56 pm

A quick turn of Perseus turns up that Cicero thinks so too:

Operarum illa concursatio nocturna non a te ipso instituta me frumentum flagitabat?

--On his house 6.14

This construction is called double accusative. (Docere is an other verb that also uses this construction.)

The infinitive is historical infinitive: in theory, it makes it more exciting to read.
Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin