More Translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Visigoth
Textkit Neophyte

More Translation

Post by Visigoth »

cum omnes virtutes currant in stadio , lola perseverantia accipit bravium

non quaruntur in christianis intia sed finis

Any ideas ?? ? ?
The second one is something like "there is no ?? in Christianity ?? but the end".

The first one might be something like "With every virtue we run into persevereance and take suffering ? ?" What are stadio, bravium, and lola ? ? ?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

cum omnes virtutes currant in stadio , lola (this is not a word, unless a name) perseverantia accipit bravium

non quaruntur (quaeruntur?) in christianis intia (initia) sed finis

Either you made some typos or the author of this left out a few letters. It's much easier to translate when you don't have to speculate on what a word is :wink:

Anyways, I think I can translate it except for this strange "lola", which may be an adjective modifying perseverantia:
When all the virtues run on the race course, lola perseverance takes its reward.

The second quote is fairly simple:
Not found in the Christians are beginnings, but the end.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

I agree with Benissimus.

I think it's not 'lola', but 'sola'.

So then it would make even more sence:

When all the virtues run on the race course, only perseverance takes its reward.
Not found in the Christians are beginnings, but the end.
I agree, but 'quaerere' has to mean 'search forsomething' here.

Not searched for / seeked / looked for in the Christians are beginnings, but the end / goal.

So this would mean that if we compare all virtues, only perseverance lasts. And that's what the Christians are looking for. They don't care about the start, but are only interested in the result, the goal, the end. So Christians would be very intesested in perseverance.

Visigoth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Visigoth »

The orthography in the book was hard to get . . the s looked like a elongated f. I mistakenly wrote it down as an l.

I think you are right.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Aye, that makes more sense. Thank you my piggy... I mean... Moere ;)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae