Textkit Logo

Need help in translating this

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Need help in translating this

Postby sapientes » Wed May 21, 2003 2:07 pm

This should be a very simple statement from<br />Publilius Syrus:<br /><br />Inopiae desunt multa; avaritae omnia.<br /><br />(Inopia, Inopiae, f. Neediness.)<br /><br />I am having trouble to understand the role of<br />the dative case here -- both for Inopiae, and for its<br />counterpart avaritae. The translation I came up with is<br />this:<br /><br />Many fail in neediness; everyone fails in greed.<br /><br />But it just doens't sound right.<br /><br />thx.<br /><br /><br /><br />
phpbb
sapientes
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Need help in translating this

Postby vinobrien » Wed May 21, 2003 4:23 pm

They are datives, multa and omnia are nominative neuter plurals so it reads<br /><br />many things are lacking to poverty, everything is lacking to greed<br /><br />or to make it neater<br /><br />the poor lack much, the greedy lack everything.
phpbb
vinobrien
Textkit Member

Re:Need help in translating this

Postby sapientes » Thu May 22, 2003 6:59 am

Thanks!<br /><br />I like the 'neater' version -- it turns the<br />syntax upside down, as it were -- the<br />datives become subjects in the translation,<br />and the nominatives -- direct objects. Now it<br />is clear why it was tricky for me.<br /><br /><br />thx<br /><br />
phpbb
sapientes
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin