Cicero: de imperio Cn. Pompei

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
aprotosimaki
Textkit Neophyte

Cicero: de imperio Cn. Pompei

Post by aprotosimaki »

Good morning,

I am have a problem understanding the first part of this sentence [ in bold ]:

Atque ut inde oratio mea proficiscatur unde haec omnis causa ducitur, bellum grave et periculosum vestris vectigalibus atque sociis a duobus potentissimis adfertur regibus, Mithridate et Tigrane, quorum alter relictus, alter lacessitus occasionem sibi ad occupandam Asiam oblatam esse arbitratur.

I not entirely sure of the force of the ut governing the subjunctive verb but I guess part of my confusion is also the use of inde ... unde ...

I could provide a translation but it would be horrible :)

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Cicero: de imperio Cn. Pompei

Post by thesaurus »

As I see it, this purpose clause refers to the reason Cicero is speaking. You see this sometimes as a preface of sorts, like "Ut pauca [verba] dicam..."

Here we have "Atque ut inde oratio mea proficiscatur unde haec omnis causa ducitur," which I'd translate as "and so that my speech might progress from that place from which this whole trial/case is originated/lead..."
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

aprotosimaki
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Cicero: de imperio Cn. Pompei

Post by aprotosimaki »

thesaurus wrote:As I see it, this purpose clause refers to the reason Cicero is speaking. You see this sometimes as a preface of sorts, like "Ut pauca [verba] dicam..."

Here we have "Atque ut inde oratio mea proficiscatur unde haec omnis causa ducitur," which I'd translate as "and so that my speech might progress from that place from which this whole trial/case is originated/lead..."
Thank you for your help.