latin translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

latin translation

Post by COPLAND 3 »

I was hoping I could get a couple of short quotes translated from the image, it is line14 and 15. It comes from a commentary on Daniel 8:19. If my attachment does not work then I put the image on this link http://litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/latin Thanks!!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: latin translation

Post by thesaurus »

Here is my shot at a transcription/translation.
14 Dixitque mihi: Ego ostendam tibi. Idest tempore illius maledicti hominis qui propter abundantiam malitiae dicitur maledictio in abstracto. Et hic est Antichristus proprie, & Antiochus Epiphanes aliquo modo, inquantum fuit figura Antichristi persequendo cultum Dei, ut visum est.
14 And [he] said to me: I will show you. That is at the time of that cursed man who on account of an abundance of wicknedness is called "curse" in abstract. And this is specifically the Antichrist, and Antiochus Epiphanes in some way, in as much as he was the figure of the Antichrist in pursuing the worship of God, as it appeared.
15 Quoniam habet si. In quo. s. ista complebuntur.
15 Since if [he] has. In which . . . these will be completed.
I'm not sure how to read the middle part, which appears to be ". s. ista." This could very well be short hand of some sort, but a wiser head will have to sort it out.

Needless to say, it's difficult for me to offer a firm translation of some of this commentary, as such language is often highly conventionalized and abbreviated. The subject matter is also obscure to me.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Post by Craig_Thomas »

thesaurus wrote:Here is my shot at a transcription/translation.
15 Quoniam habet si. In quo. s. ista complebuntur.
15 Since if [he] has. In which . . . these will be completed.
It's an "f" after habet, not a long "s". I would transcribe it as:
15 Quoniam habet fi. In quo.s.ista complebuntur.
I have no experience with medieval abbreviations, but a very brief look at Cappelli's Elements of
Abbreviation in Medieval Latin Paleography
suggests that fi. is short for filius and that .s. is short for scilicet.

So my expanded transcription and translation would be:
15 Quoniam habet filium. In quo scilicet ista complebuntur.
15 Since he has a son. In whom these things will of course be completed.

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Post by Craig_Thomas »

Of course, the first thing I should have done was look at the Vulgate!

Daniel 8:19 reads thus:
dixitque mihi: Ego ostendam tibi quæ futura sunt in novissimo maledictionis: quoniam habet tempus finem suum
So fi. is finem, and a better translation would be this:
15 Since (time) has an end. In which these things will of course be completed.

COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by COPLAND 3 »

Thank you very much for taking the time to do that, I really appreciate it!