Help With Enclitics?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
JusSza
Textkit Neophyte

Help With Enclitics?

Post by JusSza »

Hi!

I'm working on extra-curricular latin, and it is not graded. I have reached the enclitics section and I'm having trouble... For Learning purposes, I am to compose two sentences each using to enclitics. So I need to translate "When did Rufus or his friend see the man and the woman?" and “Have you seen my brother or sister?” into Latin using two enclitics. I think I have the second one down, but I am unsure. Here is what I have so far:
Vidistisne mea fratris sororisve?
Thanks in Advance,
JusSza

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help With Enclitics?

Post by thesaurus »

Vidistisne mea fratris sororisve?
You have the enclitics right, but the cases wrong. "my brother and sister" are both the direct object and should be in the accusative case (currently you have "mea" in the nominative, while frastris and sororis are in the genitive.)

Regarding the first sentence, you can use "-ve" again for "or," and "-que" for "and."
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute