Nova Vulgata with "Iahveh"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
quendidil
Textkit Member

Nova Vulgata with "Iahveh"

Post by quendidil »

According to Wikipedia, the first edition of the Nova Vulgata used the word "Iahveh" in the text wherever YHVH appears in the Hebrew. I don't suppose anyone would happen to know the ISBN number of that edition? I'm trying to track it down with no luck so far -- the available editions, even at used book stores, all seem to be more recent.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Nova Vulgata with "Iahveh"

Post by thesaurus »

quendidil wrote:According to Wikipedia, the first edition of the Nova Vulgata used the word "Iahveh" in the text wherever YHVH appears in the Hebrew. I don't suppose anyone would happen to know the ISBN number of that edition? I'm trying to track it down with no luck so far -- the available editions, even at used book stores, all seem to be more recent.
The edition you want of the "Bibliorum Sacrorum nova vulgata editio" was published in 1979. I'm not sure that it has an ISBN number.

Here is a copy on Google Books that you can do limited searching in. (I turned up two pages with Iahveh, but chances are that not all incidences were recognized.)
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

quendidil
Textkit Member

Re: Nova Vulgata with "Iahveh"

Post by quendidil »

Thanks for the link. From what little I can see, it seems that not all instances of YHVH were rendered "Iahveh" though. Exodus 6:3 uses Iahveh, but 6:6 goes back to Dominus. That's somewhat disappointing.