a small question on grammar

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
anandam
Textkit Neophyte

a small question on grammar

Post by anandam »

Et A et B + adjective sunt.
Both A and B are (adjective).

When the gender of A (noun) and B (noun) are different,
what should be the gender of the adjective?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: a small question on grammar

Post by adrianus »

Attributive adjectives agree with the nearer/nearest noun. Not so for predicate adjectives: masculine for mixed living things, neuter for non-living. Your adjectives are predicate adjectives (a verb comes between the adjective and the noun, as in "the valleys and hills are green [predicate adj.]", as opposed to "the green [attributive adj.] valleys and hills spread out").
Proximo nomini attributivum adjectivum congruit. Aliter cum praedicativis, ubi masculini generis cum rebus vivantibus et non vivantibus*, neutrius cum non vivantibus. Praedicativa tua, quia verbum inter adjectivum et nomen venit.

* Post Scriptum. Or masculine with feminine, I meant to say in Latin // Et generis feminini cum masculini, quod ego negligens latinè dicere omissi.
Last edited by adrianus on Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

anandam
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anandam »

Thank you for your reply, adrianus.
A Happy New Year.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Et tibi, anandam, Felicem Annum Inientem!
Happy New Year to you, too, anandam!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.