Textkit Logo

Stress in compound verbs

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Stress in compound verbs

Postby phil96 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:38 am

Do all the forms of verbs with a prefixing preposition follow the standard rules for stress?
Forms such as circumdedit and āvocet sound a little odd to my (non-Latin!) ear when the stress falls on the antepenult.
phil96
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Stress in compound verbs

Postby parjanya » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Yep, the accent rules apply to the entire resulting form, not to the uncompounded verb first, then with the prefix added.

Practically, I speak with some kind of secondary stress, as my primary language is portuguese, if the word is left with more than two unaccented syllables: cìrcumdédit, but I really don't think it's kosher latin ; ).

Vide "Vox Latina", by W. Sidney Allen, if you want to read much more than you would like to know about latin pronunciation.
parjanya
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Stress in compound verbs

Postby adrianus » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Treat them according to standard rules of accenting. There are exceptions (especially with -facio, as in "-fis"/"fit"), but my advice is to ignore them for now, if that doesn't offend you. It's a matter of dispute, in any case.

Omnia verba eodem modo tractes. Sunt exceptiones (praesertim cum "fis"/"fit" composita) quae, tuâ veniâ, a te concessandae sunt, ut opinor. Res obiter est quae in controversiam adduci potest.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin