Textkit Logo

Stress in compound verbs

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

Moderator: thesaurus

Stress in compound verbs

Postby phil96 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:38 am

Do all the forms of verbs with a prefixing preposition follow the standard rules for stress?
Forms such as circumdedit and āvocet sound a little odd to my (non-Latin!) ear when the stress falls on the antepenult.
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Stress in compound verbs

Postby parjanya » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Yep, the accent rules apply to the entire resulting form, not to the uncompounded verb first, then with the prefix added.

Practically, I speak with some kind of secondary stress, as my primary language is portuguese, if the word is left with more than two unaccented syllables: cìrcumdédit, but I really don't think it's kosher latin ; ).

Vide "Vox Latina", by W. Sidney Allen, if you want to read much more than you would like to know about latin pronunciation.
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Stress in compound verbs

Postby adrianus » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Treat them according to standard rules of accenting. There are exceptions (especially with -facio, as in "-fis"/"fit"), but my advice is to ignore them for now, if that doesn't offend you. It's a matter of dispute, in any case.

Omnia verba eodem modo tractes. Sunt exceptiones (praesertim cum "fis"/"fit" composita) quae, tuâ veniâ, a te concessandae sunt, ut opinor. Res obiter est quae in controversiam adduci potest.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin