velocitas eradico

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Rufus Coppertop
Textkit Neophyte

velocitas eradico

Post by Rufus Coppertop »

I have come across velocitas eradico as allegedly meaning, speed kills or I am speed, I kill.

I know that sometimes the verb esse can be omitted, but both interpretations seem absolutely suss to me. The only way I can translate this is I kill speed.

Does anyone else agree?

brookter
Textkit Member

Re: velocitas eradico

Post by brookter »

Wouldn't that have to be velocitātem eradico?

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Rufus Coppertop wrote:I have come across velocitas eradico as allegedly meaning, speed kills or I am speed, I kill.

I know that sometimes the verb esse can be omitted, but both interpretations seem absolutely suss to me. The only way I can translate this is I kill speed.

Does anyone else agree?
"velocitas eradico" doesn't mean "spead kills," and is usual the result of someone using an online translation program.

Literally, it would mean something like "I, speed, eradicate."
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Rufus Coppertop
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rufus Coppertop »

Of course it would have to be velocitatem! For some reason I thought velocitas was neuter until I realized that most third dec nouns with 'as' are feminine.